Notifications, local?

Quick question. Are mobile push notifications local or do they need internet? I mean if wifi is working but internet is down.. do I still receive notifications when I'm connected to my local wifi network.

HE will run just fine without an internet connection but there are some functions that rely on cloud services and therefore need an internet connection. Any cloud-based automations, any connection to things like Alexa, etc.

Mobile push notifications also need an internet connection. Not just for HE to send them but for your mobile device to receive them. Though of course your mobile device has an internet connection separate from your wifi network.

2 Likes

No. Notifications use the internet via relay. Your automations though are 100% local and will continue to run (provided the device being automated doesn't require the internet as pointed out by @brad5 above)

1 Like

You could also put your notifications on the local dashboard,

ezgif.com-gif-maker

3 Likes

Yep I was kind of wishing that it would be local and it would be possible to send push message in lan but okay..internet is needed.

Yeah I know. Actually I was wondering how to receive push notification when internet is down. SMS could be one possible way but that is not free service if I remember right.

If you use Android you could also use Tasker and a plug-in or two to send a local notification.

SMS messages ride on the SS7 network. Your phone carrier already has a gateway in place and uses the cell network to deliver messages from an SS7 gateway to your cell phone. There are a couple of SS7 gateways available to HE (I use Twilio) but they are accessed over the Internet. So short of installing an SS7 gateway in your house or using some sort of intermediate device as a gateway, you still need Internet access to send an SMS message from HE.

I use Tasker for a few things - e.g., start/stop WireGuard VPN on phones based on network connection (home wi-fi vs. other wi-fi/mobile service.

Have you set up Tasker for local notifications? Be interested in hearing/seeing how you did it.

Not notifications specifically myself, but there are a few posts where people talk about setting up notifications in Tasker that include actionable buttons, so I will try and find one of those. I started to work through one of them a while ago but didn't finish setting it up. EDIT - The one I was thinking of intercepts existing notifications, with the example being intercepting a Pushover notification. So maybe AutoRemote may be the way to go... Might need to do some more research.

Here's my AutoRemote example:

1 Like

Cool, thanks, I'll look it over.

1 Like

If you had fully kiosk running (in the background?) On your phone you could get it to speak, assuming you had fix op for your phone.

For text you would need a app on your phone ready to receive