Notification in the absence of motion

Having a bit of a brain fart. I would like HE to monitor for motion starting at a certain day/time, and if it doesn’t detect motion by a certain time that evening, it will send me a notification. If it does detect motion, HE stops monitoring. I can’t seems to wrap my head around how to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

My thoughts:

Virtual Switch - Rule 1 to turn it off every day at 99:99

Rule 2
Trigger: Motion on device(s)
Condition: Evening
Action: Turn on Virtual Switch

Rule 3
Trigger: Time reaches 99:99
Condition: Virtual Switch is off
Action: Send notification

Alternatively

Virtual Switch - initially set off

Rule 1
Trigger: Motion on device(s)
Condition: Evening
Action; Turn on Virtual Switch

Rule 2
Trigger: Time reaches 99:99

Condition 1: Virtual Switch is off
Action: Send notification

Condition 2: Virtual Switch is on
Action: Turn off Virtual Switch

2 Likes

@hardergj here's an option

Trigger Events:
On Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu at 6:00 AM

Actions to Run:
Wait for conditions:  Motion Sensor active OR Time is 9:00 PM
IF (Motion Sensor inactive) THEN
    Notify Phone: 'Motion wasn't detected'
    Other stuff to do
END-IF
2 Likes

Check out @bptworld 's Remote Wellness Check

1 Like

Thanks for this! I created a simplified version of this rule to test, but I’m not getting the notification in the absence of motion. Do you know where I might be going wrong?

For context, what this rule will eventually accomplish is to send a reminder to take out the garbage on garbage day if the containers haven't been moved by certain time of the day

You could try this basic app @bravenel create
It's basically a countdown timer, you could have it to reset on ant motion event

Edit scrub above didn't realise your end use, thought it was for personal monitoring

I figured I’d add mine, similar concept but I’m using acceleration instead of motion to send a reminder or 2 if I’m really slipping :rofl:.

@hardergj I need to do a little more debugging but I don't think the Wait for condition is properly processing the Time is condition. Here's a work around using a simple condition and Wait for events.

Actions to Run:
IF (Garbage Motion Sensor active) Exit Rule
Wait for events:  Garbage Motion Sensor active OR When time is 10:36 AM
IF (Garbage Motion Sensor inactive) THEN
    Notify Greg's iPhone: 'Testing'
END-IF

Please let me know if this works for you.

I tried this and a few other variants but the "Exit Rule" action doesn't seem to be taking effect, and the next action occurs regardless. I'll try fooling around with it more and trying some of the other suggestions and will report back

Thanks!

@hardergj the IF-Exit Rule action is only to check for an active motion sensor at the time the rule is triggered. I would expect this to be a rare case but the intention of using it was to replicate the function of Wait for conditions. Are you saying the motion sensor was active when the rule was trigger and the IF-Exit Rule failed to execute properly?

@pseudonym I was actually just playing around with it. Turns out I’m dumb. Your rule works just fine as written. I’d messed something up and didn’t notice. Thanks for all your help!!

Good to hear, glad to help.

Wait for Conditions doesn't work with time. It shouldn't offer that option. Fixed in next release. You can use Wait for Events for either Certain Time or Elapsed Time.

Also, you can do this directly with Basic Rule.

The posted workaround uses Wait for Events and Certain Time.