Notification App not doing repeats

C8 - with latest update

using notifier app...and open patio door and get the first notification but NEVER get any more even though i have it set to 20 sec repeat....would really appreciate help,,,, tried rules machine and I could not figure out how to send repeated warnings....this app looks very clean ....but doesn't work : (
thx
tim
p.s. I read the help on the web for this app and the repeat option is not discussed...
the goal is to notify when the door opens and repeats every x time if the door is still open....is this capable of this?

I just tested a similar setup and was able to get repeated notifications:

Notification device logs:

I would delete and re-create this notification app instance since it's fairly simple and would probably be faster than any additional troubleshooting -- just to see if that helps. Turn on the "Enable logging" option and check the output of Logs for anything related to this app or any errors in general if it doesn't (or maybe either way if you want to try to figure out something with this).

Also note that the text in the UI is not lying to you; nothing will stop this notification, short of you going back into this app and manually hitting "Done" to re-initialize schedules, device subscriptions, etc. If you want it to stop if/when the contact sensor closes, check the "Stop repeat upon next event" option (as it is by default) or use one of the other options.

1 Like

thank you so much for trying this.... I will do what you said and delete and recreate...
i'm curious what your device notification is ...
I'm trying to speak through echo speak app to alexa devices ...are you doing a text ?
The hub is at my nephews house so will check tomorrow.

My notification device was a text device. I am testing again with a TTS device...

EDIT: Odd, I don't think the repeat is working for that like it does for the notification (also only getting a single TTS announcement). Tagging @bravenel to take a look.

wow thanks for testing that ....so your results match mine!
Hoping @bravenel knows the solution

I have looked into this, and I can't say that I understand what I've found. As it stands, I can reproduce that spoken notifications don't repeat as they should. However, this appears to be some sort of system or driver problem because both the app and the device are logging the command to play the notification. What I discovered by messing around was that if I changed the volume of the speech device to some oddball value, then sent the speak command with the selected volume from the app, that it would repeat just fine.

I will pursue this a bit further. It doesn't make sense to me why the app should have to change the speech device volume for it to work, but that does fix it.

5 Likes

FWIW, repeating notifications working for me w/out issue, using similar simple test like @bertabcd1234's w/a Nest Speaker. This is on a C8-Pro, enrolled in beta so running 2.3.9.115. I open the contact and let things sit and all four announcements play as expected.

Notification:

Logs: