Not ready for prime?

My TRV is the only one (a shame) supported officially by Hubitat, an Eurotronic Spirit, and the driver is the internal one. What is missing is the fan attribute, that a TRV does not have. This may not be the right place, but I asked Hubitat several times to add more TRV AND to create a specific device type and tile for the dashboard instead of ignoring Europeans heating system completely (A reason to look at Home Assitant). The missing of a supported device type is probably the source of this error.

For scenes and buttons you are right, I didn't even see that you can expand tiles. But that does not solve the problem. I have one button controller with 20 buttons for scenes. When I expand the tile, I get a tile with B1 to B20. This is far from practicable, as I do not know that button B6 starts scene TV for example and my wife and children ignore this completely. This way of handling button controllers does simply not work. I will have to create 20 virtual buttons and that means that Easy Dashbords are simply not coherent with the features offered by Hubitat, at least in a practical view. I also have 20 buttons, but only 16 for scenes and 4 handle other stuff. In that case Easy Dashboard should offer a way to select a button and to label it per tile.

Unfortunately, it is not only Hubitat that neglects the TRVs.

Apple, Google, Amazon integrations also do not work when the meaningless cooling and fan control attributes are not exposed.

As a workaround you can try this custom driver for your Eurotronic Z-wave TRV.

2 Likes

Assuming you mean the "Eurotronic Spirit Thermostat" driver, this one looks like it populates the supportedThermostatFanModes attribute if the device responds with this information (like most Z-Wave Plus devices do). I'm guessing this one doesn't given its nature. That may be something that can be addressed in the driver.

In the meantime: you can fix this error by adding the attribute yourself. Temporarily switch to the Virtual Thermostat driver. Then, put something like this in the parameter textbox for the setSupportedThermostatFanMode() command:

["auto"]

(or whatever JSON list you want this to display--with no fan, I assume you don't particularly care, but it needs to be there.)

Then hit the button to run the command, switch back to your original driver, and the Dashboard problem should be fixed.

Well, using less than 20 buttons on a virtual device (say, using multiple devices instead with a few buttons each) would be one way to solve that problem, then. :smiley:

But people have also asked for the ability to "label" buttons on a dashboard with custom text instead of the default button number. If/when that feature is implemented, then that may help you.

It may be helpful to keep in mind that Easy Dashboard is new, and the developers are listening to feedback. Some changes and feature additions have been made based on requests. It is new, and more is likely to come in the future. But it is called "Easy Dashboard," and not everything everyone requests can possibly be implemented. Hubitat Dashboard is not going away (and will probably always be more customizable), so if that meets your needs better, there is no reason you cannot continue using it.

3 Likes

TRV aren't common where support staff live, here in North America. Although I am not staff, as someone just talking on a personal level I wouldn't have a clue as to what companies even made these, or how to get them in the USA. I just did a quick Google search for "Eurotronic Spirit" which returned very few hits for me, one was in German, and the other was an Amazon listing where it said "not in stock".

If people want other devices added, staff has been receptive to receiving devices on loan from users. I am sure staff would also appreciate it if users could encourage companies that make TRV (or any device really) to send Hubitat samples, or to work with Hubitat in some way.

I thought there was talk of @gopher.ny fixing this or adding some placeholder for these missing attributes in tiles? Did that not happen?

3 Likes

Yes, I know. Hubitat is sold as the β€œbest” smart home out, AND it's sold as a European version too (220V and European radio frequencies). Some Chinese manufacturers serve the European market and adopt their products by just selling and handling TRV inside their smart home systems. I still consider Hubitat as an US centric system and I actually see no reason to promote it in Europe due to a big lack in heating control. Hubitat should not wait for users to do their stuff, but proactively contact producers, and offer their help in developing drivers as others do. A good starting point should be Bosch (the German brand), Danfoss and Eurotronic for their other TRV like the Zigbee One or the Eve series and maybe some others not German brands. For me, the fact that TRV are not really supported is the main reason Europeans will hold back of buying Hubitat or will switch after some time to other smart home central. I still evaluate Home Assistant. Just ordered a C8 Pro, but still not sure if I will not switch later to HA, due to a much better TRV support and meanwhile some other cool features missing in Hubitat, like the ability to group nearly everything in every place in user defined groups (not handling, just for visualizing), but that's not mandatory like TRV support.

Hubitat C-8 is not fully Zigbee 3.0 compliant, it misses the Zigbee 3.0 Install Codes functionality. Bosch Zigbee 3.0 devices do NOT work in Hubitat.

[Feature Request] Support for Zigbee 3.0 Install Codes

1 Like

Ok, but like I said above, simply google searching doesn't help if Google won't serve up the information required to do this.

Maybe put together a list of device brand/models, and if you can find it, contact information at the company that produces these devices. Again, we have no clue what or what is not popular or even available in Europe and elsewhere in the world.

Again, it would help if more people demand companies talk to Hubitat. Hubitat isn't a household name like Bosch is, and I am sure many companies ignore requests from Hubitat because they have never heard of them. Write or call these manufacturers and have everyone you know also do so.

There is lots of value beyond heating in Hubitat. I am not sure most hinge their decisions on what TRV valves are or are not available in Hubitat, but maybe I am wrong about that?

1 Like

Hot water radiators heating systems are widely used in Europe/UK.

Hubitat supports most of the Sonoff products.

Here is a TRV available from the US Amazon store :

https://www.amazon.com/SONOFF-Zigbee-Thermostatic-Radiator-Valve/dp/B0CFXY26H1

This device (more or less) follows the ZCL standards, so may be a good candidate for a HE inbuilt TRV driver.

1 Like

I get that. It is common in certain regions of the USA as well, but we don't use TRV, at least not the types of devices you have. Ours seem to be either circulator pump control via a relay, or a zone valve inline with piping. In either case they are ultimately controlled via a 24V wall thermostat and not a TRV.

Specific brands and models, of devices are what I think would help staff, at least on a basic level. Just searching for a random device doesn't help if you don't know if it is available for purchase, or how popular it is.

I am not the code expert, nor do I decide what devices get added, so I would defer to staff as to what it would take to get something like this built into Hubitat. Maybe a generic driver could be created that would support more of these type devices?

I think users are quite lucky to have you writing drivers for some of these devices and contributing to the community. :+1:

2 Likes

Maybe Matter will be a game changer and I hope that Hubitat has at least a good support for this. Bosch has a smart home central that acts as Matter bridge, so I could probably use Bosch ones and use their hub to bring them to Hubitat. I just saw that Bosch lists the " Radiator Thermostat II" under always Matter compatible product, but no mention on the boxing, so does it mean natively or over the bridge ??'

Most probably over the Bosch Matter bridge... Although, Hubitat has yet to come up with a native Matter Bridge support. The community Matter Bridge package currently does not support bridged thermostats.

1 Like

Strange, Hubitat Elevation features the Matter logo...

Just tested, the Sonoff TRVZB seems to work OK with the HE inbuilt 'Generic Zigbee Thermostat' driver!

I am not 100% sure, because I have paired the TRV to a Sonoff Zigbee hub before, and other HE users were reporting problems with it not updating the room temperature automatically. Will have to dig further.

False positive ..:frowning:

After factory resetting the TRV, it will not work with the inbuilt Generic Zigbee Thermostat driver anymore.

Let me begin by saying my knowledge here is very limited, so I may be wrong or slightly off base here. Matter is supported, but you need a border edge router. Right now the most common way (if not only way) is by using HomeKit, Google Home or Amazon Alexa as the matter bridge to connect the device to hubitat, it is still a very early release (as is matter) so I am certain that it will continue to evolve.

Why is that strange? Functioning as a bridge is only one feature of Matter (that the hub will hopefully support in the future).

1 Like

Matter is a work in progress, both at the governing body level, and at the companies who are adopting it. There were some pretty big changes and additions of device types in the last couple versions of Matter. Not everyone is on this latest version.

Ideally Matter would be a more universally adopted protocol with every hub supporting every device type, and being interoperative with all other hubs. However, that has proven to be quite different from the grandiose and over exaggerated promises of this protocol, at least at this point in time.

As far as I am aware, you don't have to support every part of Matter within a hub, some hubs might not support something like a washing machine, while others will. Ideally Hubitat and others will eventually get to the point where everything is capable of talking to everything Matter. It sure would make things a lot better for consumers if it could happen.

1 Like

I think there's also some confusion here, as there often is with Matter: the hub functioning as a Matter bridge compared to the ability of (other) Matter bridge devices being able to be added to Hubitat.

The former is not supported and is not what most hub manufacturers mean when they say that they "support" Matter -- unless it's a special-purpose device like the Philips Hue Bridge, SwitchBot Hub, or similar, where is a way to bridge the devices' native to protocols to Matter (but doesn't mean can add Matter devices to those systems).

The latter technically is supported on Hubitat, but, like any device, you need a driver that will work. Matter might make this easier, if anything, but support is still relatively new and there are no built-in drivers at the moment for anything that happens to be a Matter Bridge--but that's not a technical limitation.

2 Likes

Again, a standard that is not standard. For me, a device with a Matter label should be able to be driven by any hub that talks Matter (not talking about the connection where Thread is recommanded by Matter but not mandatory) in the way it works now for supported non Matter devices (within the limit of the Matter functions in the standard). In contrast, a hub with a Matter label should be able to drive any Matter device AND be a fully featured member of a Matter network. So Hubitat should be able to connect to a Bosch Matter Hub and to drive Bosch devices exposed as Matter devices.

If that does not work, the Matter label is worth nothing. Maybe the label is not well done, as it should show 1.0 or 1.3 for example to know the compatibility with a version of Matter. As everything should be downwards compatible this would be a good information to know.