[Not necessarily HE related], but there is a big security issue w/ Kwikset 888 locks

Howdy all. I have recently installed a Kwikset 888 on my back door. It is connected to my hub w/out any problems. HOWEVER, I believe there is a bug w/ this lock in that it keeps adding back a particular 6 digit user code. I've tried factory resetting, deleting the code manually, and deleting ALL codes. These seem to work until I enter my own user code and, voila, the same code mentioned above gets added back. I noticed this code initially upon installation in the code list in HE from the lock. Adding my own code and deleting the existing code only worked for about a minute and then it came back. After I added a master code and deleted all codes, it came back again after I input my code, but this time it doesn't show up in the code list. Still opens the lock, though.

I contacted Kwikset and they sent me a brand new 888 and this one does the exact same thing! I'll bet that I can open any Kwikset 888 with this code. I've reported this recent result to Kwikset but haven't received an answer. If anyone is willing to test this on their 888, pls PM me and I'll give you the code. I don't want it floating around in the open for obvious safety reasons.

Thanks in advance,
JIm

Usually locks have a factory code built in that you cannot change or replace (At least the Schlage has this in the first 2 slots). If so it makes sense that it comes back (doesn't really change) If you're worried about it, the driver should have an enable lock code encrytion option so all the codes look like this

I've spoken w/ Kwikset about this and they claim they do not have an immutable code. I was told that one can delete ALL codes. I understand what you're saying, but if the immutable code (which Kwikset isn't supposed to have) is the same for all locks, that is a BIG security issue.

Not to ask the obvious, but you don't have this lock in use by Lock Code Manager or anything, do you?

As already mentioned, Schlage has two codes pre-assigned to their locks. The specific codes are printed on a label attached to some of the documentation. The codes are different for each of the two deadbolts I've installed.

When I added these to HE, I cleared all the codes before setting my own. The codes supplied with the locks no longer work. I'm going to guess that if I did a factory reset, these would become functional again. As of now however, Schlage allows you to remove them if you choose.

You mentioned they sent another brand new lock. Did the code you're referring to work on the original AND replacement? If it did, it was either a coincidence OR is truly concerning.

At least in schlage's case it's really not. To see the permanent codes (2 of them) you have to pull the inner lock panel (actually unscrew the deadbolt) to get a look at the labels. So unlikely to happen. And they don't show in hubitat. As you can see in the pic even unencrypted, slots one and 2 only have ???? in it as the code.

I'd also say locks really aren't gonna stop anyone. If someone plans to break into your house, it's unlikely they'll sniff out your lock. They're gonna crack a window, in the back yard with a rag. Though most crimes like this are a crime of opprotunity. Again even then they're not gonna come in the front door.

@jim8

Couple questions:

1. Does the code show up if you pull codes from the lock?
  2. This is what the Kwikset 888 looks like. The shared buttons make it possible for one set of button presses to correspond to more than one code.

For example, 2642 and 1532 have exact same button sequence. Are you certain that is not what is happening in your situation?
1 Like

I have 4 of these and the only codes available on my locks are the ones that I put in myself. I DID do a factory reset on all of them when I installed and am using the Lock Code Manager to maintain them. Additionally, when I check the devices individually, they confirm the codes that are shown in the Lock Code Manager App.

Maybe try a factory reset and see if that allows you to clear the code afterwards?

1 Like

@tray_e

The OP indicates that the code doesn’t show up in the code list, but still opens the lock. Underlying my suspicion that two different numbers use the same set of button presses.

As you have 4 of these locks, you can test if the code discovered by the OP also works on your locks. I suspect it will not.

There is also the manual which has steps to disable the master code: (See page 7) https://kwiksetprodstorage.blob.core.windows.net/documents/kw_tg_5061899_888.pdf

It is not supposed to be enabled by default. However, stranger things have happened. You could also try running the steps to disable it.

3 Likes

No. All of this has been done both before and after pairing w/ the hub. The point is that even manual resets and code deletions/entries result in the same reactivation of the primary code.

He pm'd me his code. That code did not work on my doors.

1 Like

Did you do the page 7 process from the link above?

I got the link from the support forum on kwikset website. It's not part of the standard manual for some reason.

I thought the Mastercode for Kwikset locks is just a password to add/remove user codes...that it cannot be used to unlock the lock.

First of all, thanks to everyone who responded.

Everything everyone is saying is true, but the initial setup in the 3 888 locks that I have allows for a code to be established in NVRAM. I found that out during installation before I entered any codes by pairing w/ my HE (per Kwikset instructions) and then looking at the code list (there was "that one").

Factory resetting just recycles that. After 4 factory resets, creating a mastercode each time, and deleting all codes 4 times, I was able to permanently(?) delete the initial code (all via the lock controls, not via z-wave; I now have a chair next to the door for the next time!). I have no idea why it worked after 4 tries, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I hope it doesn't come back!

Again, thanks for all of your help.

Jim

3 Likes

Yes, but the Schlage pre-assigned codes ARE NOT permanent, and can be deleted. The only way to get them back is to factory reset the locks, which deletes all codes and re-installs the two default codes. This is clearly set out in the Schlage documentation, and I have confirmed on our two BE469ZP Schlage locks. I can’t speak to the Kwickset locks, I don’t have those.

I'm aware these are not permanent. Did you read my whole post?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.