[NOT MAINTAINED] Advanced Honeywell T6 Pro Z-Wave Thermostat Driver

All doable... about 50 different ways to setup your requirements in RM. So go with whatever makes sense for you. For your last one if it's set to cool if it goes over 80 and she sets it to 78. The rule wouldn't trigger because it never went over 78. To get it to trigger have it release hold and run schedule at 8pm.

1 Like

My wife likes it warmer than I do so anytime I left the room she would raise the temp. So I caved and raised it a couple of degrees in my automations and now she doesn't mess with it at all. It's important to remember there's usually more people in the house than just us. Sometimes it's easier to conform to what everyone else likes than trying to come up with crazy rules to try and make everyone happy. That helps keeping it simple as well.

Thanks. I should get my son to create an account to back me up on this, but we would both swear in court that she futzes w/the temps regardless of whether she needs to or not. It's like a bad habit, she walks by the thermostat and seems to think, "Oh, as long as I'm here I should make a change." I long ago tried to work w/her to set all the temps exactly where she wanted them, but regardless of several runs at that windmill, she still stops and makes adjustments during the day, usually multiple times. So I've given up on that. She is a wonderful wife, mother, and partner, and brings home a good chunk of bacon, so I've decided to keep her in spite of her thermostat OCD. :wink:

Worst case I will at least learn a lot more about rule machine, even if in the end I give up and stick w/my cloud-dependent Nest w/temp pucks in the rooms, and call it done. Not as much fun, but sometimes fun is not as fun as you'd like. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Could go the other way completely... Any time the temp is set to something other than the setpoint you want then wait 2 minutes and set it to the right setpoint.

3 Likes

I'd wait more than 2 minutes... maybe 4 or 5. :smiling_imp:

I sometimes get to hear how much my tablets reminding us that there are doors or windows open when the AC/Heat is running bothers the wife. Of course it eventually turns itself off, too. When she learns to run the thing, she can disable my "Air condition the world" rule.

1 Like

Folks here may be interested, Bruce is creating a Thermostat Controller app that he intends to release in the future. Should be a great addition.

Mine literally pulled the disconnect on the outside unit because it kept changing the setpoint on her. So I just gave up.

2 Likes

NVM...think I've found what I was looking for...

Hi,
Sorry if this is obvious to everyone else. Would someone please kindly direct me to how one opens the driver... in the driver editor? Learning here... thanks

Welcome.

The link to the driver’s .groovy code on GitHub is in the first post of this thread. There are at least two ways to add the driver’s code to your hub.
(1) open the link in the first post of the thread, copy the .groovy code, then paste it (below) when you add the new driver, or
(2) copy the full link to the driver’s code (again, in the first post), paste the link in the URL import field that appears (below) when you go to add the new driver.

Then, having done that (1) or (2), go to your Hub’s IP, and, in the menu in the upper left corner, choose the entry that says “Drivers Code” (sic). Click the New Driver button in upper right corner, then either paste the code from (1) above, or click the Import button, paste the URL from (2). Click Save. Now, you can return to this code and edit, or, when you go to use the driver for a device, scroll to the bottom of the list for added User drivers whose code you have added.

You cannot see or edit the built-in drivers.

Adding apps is similar.

Documentation is here:
https://docs.hubitat.com/

Thank you and thanks for the quick reply. I incorrectly interpreted "BrianP"'s addition on Jun 30 to a "built-in" rather than the GitHub. In logs, I see the messages "dev:1025 2020-09-28 05:38:06.306 debug auto mode is not supported buy this thermostat
dev:1025 2020-09-28 05:38:06.305 trace setThermostatMode(auto)". I was hopeful an update as he noted below would help...

Yes, this is a bug in the Dashboard. Ideally they should fix it there. I can add a second pull request that includes this work-around for this driver, at least. Or you can go into the driver code and replace this line:

@Field static Map SET_THERMOSTAT_FAN_MODE=["auto":0x00,"on":0x01,"circulate":0x06]

with:

@Field static Map SET_THERMOSTAT_FAN_MODE=["auto":0x00,"on":0x01,"circulate":0x06," auto":0x00," on":0x01," circulate":0x06]

Best Regards

1 Like

If you're using the built-in T6 driver, it does not support Auto mode. That's why I'm using this Advanced driver.

I'd recommend you load this driver for the T6, and change line 42 of the groovy code to:

@Field static Map SET_THERMOSTAT_FAN_MODE=["auto":0x00,"on":0x01,"circulate":0x06," auto":0x00," on":0x01," circulate":0x06]

so that it works with the dashboard thermostat tile.

1 Like

I love this driver. I did notice as was commented about earlier that while covering vast portions of what the thermostat is capable of, that is doesn't deal with Home/Away.

If I understand things correctly, it looks like this was a proposed addition to address this.

Is it likely to be incorporated into the driver?

While I suspect I that I could just add the changes to my local driver code, I try to maintain everything via Hubitat Package Manager which means avoiding customized or tweaked code not created by the original author.

If someone makes a PR on the git code, I would guess Bryan would accept it... Or someone could fork the repository and update it, and release their version.

Now that Bryan works directly for Hubitat, I think most of these user drivers are as-is for the most part.

That make sense to me on why it is likely to stay as is. I am not enough of a coding/git user to be able to make a PR on it.

Having @bcopeland working directly for Hubitat does make things like this a little bit in limbo. On the one hand he is probably focused on the paid work first. Additionally, there is a less advanced built-in driver for this thermostat. I can imagine having written the advanced version before becoming an employee, it might not be possible to move the advanced features into the built-in while also not being able to devote much if any effort to minor tweaks to the pre-employment custom driver.

Of course maybe I am just imagining the difficulties and there will be a quick change even without a PR by someone competent to create it.

Note that @bcopeland (Bryan) has said he needs to make an update to his driver, he talked about it in another thread. Currently for the T6, if joined with security you can't set cooling or heating points with his driver.

Here:

I already made a PR a while ago for the change to the map to make it work with the thermostat tile in the dashboard. I don't think it's been accepted.

1 Like

Ah, ok. I only saw 2 PRs open and nether of them sounded like this issue. I must have missed it.

This sounds like potentially the path forward. It would be good to hear from @bcopeland if he's stepping back. In the other thread I linked to he made it sound like he was going to make the change to resolve the problem w/setting heat/cool points, so maybe at the same time he can accept the PR.

Yep one of them actually contains 2 commits:
Prevent bad values from humidity sensor
and also
Add extra spaces in front of SET_THERMOSTAT_FAN_MODE Map

I don't think the Home/Away changes from jkenn99 were in a pull request.

1 Like