Norman Motorized Plantation Shutters Integration into Hubitat

We have installed Norman Perfect Tilt G4 motorized plantation shutters in our home. They have their own remote which is very nice and works across the whole home, but would like to get this integrated into Hubitat of course.

Anyone has done this? I think it may be a proprietary RF transmission - they do come with their own little hub. Hub does have a RS232 port, not sure what that would be used for.

Manual is here: Norman Perfect tilt Control manual

It says:

RF Information

1. Frequency band(s): 2415~2459MHz
  2. Receiver category: Category 2
  3. Maximum Transmit Power EIRP (mW): 100 mW

FWIW they are beautiful shutters, have self charging solar and work like a dream. Totally love them, but the icing on the cake will get if we can get them into our hubitat system.

If they donā€™t have ā€˜rollingā€™ codes them you could possible use Broadlink RM device to ā€˜mimmickā€™ the remote control
There is a community integration for this device so you,can send remote commands via IR or RF

I use it to control speeds of my RF ceiling fans (with voice commands via amazon echo)

Andy

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if it used a vendor specific Zigbee-like (read: not workable with Zigbee) network. While most devices we find here in the US are transmitting in the 915 MHz band, the 2.4 GHz (2.4 to 2.4835) is also allowed worldwide in the Zigbee specification. 2.4 GHz is the band the Norman blinds use, and btw WiFi.

I donā€™t think the Broadlink devices will be able to help. They only send 315 and 433 MHz signals. I have a Broadlink black bean RM mini, and it works great for IR control.

The controls for the blinds look good, but I fear this may be a major research project, for someone who has a set of these.

I wish I could help, but Iā€™m using iBlinds in my existing plantation blinds. It sounds like a fun project for one of the many tinkerers here in the community.

First off, those shutters look awesome; they look like a very nice product.

Anyhow, the hub is on Ethernet, right? What happens when you try to telnet in to it? Does it have a web interface?

I wonder if there would be something to be done on that end (have Hubitat send commands via Telnet, which I "BELIEVE" it can do.

Those are very cool. I had never seen them before.

I have plantation shutters everywhere in my house already, but they are just manual.

This is something I'm going to look into... Not for every room, but there are 3 or 5 rooms where we always open the shutters every morning, close them every night. This would be sweet.

Just not sure I'll convince myself to spend the $5K+ it would cost to replace the existing shutters in those couple rooms (tall windows, and lots of them = expensive shutters).

The main hub is attached via ethernet. I hadn't thought to try to telnet into it. I'm like a 2/10 on the techie hack scale - I know how to do basic command line stuff but I get into the weeds pretty quickly.

I get home from business trip tomorrow and I'll try to see what i can find in this regard - great idea.

bummer that it sounds like the RF part won't work.

The system is really elegant - all the shutters work at same time and they do have an app that will schedule time of day etc, but I have too many apps in my life as is.

Having inquired further through dealers (the main tech support won't talk to me as I'm an end user) I've been told the RS232 port doesn't do anything.

I've had no luck at all getting these integrated and it's very frustrating.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.