Noob question. lutron and Picos, what exactly are they

So i see a lot of people talking about picos. I get they are kind of like remotes, but I seem to be a bit fuzzy on how they work. Do they require a switch to be paired to? do they just replace the switch ? how then is it remote? Do they just pair directly to the hub? The two instance I can see using them are a ceiling light at the other end of my bedroom. or controlling on/off and speed on 2 ceiling fans (the fans do not have the light assembly attached) ? Am I incorrect in thinking that if i had the peco on the table next to me it would somehow need to connect to a switch in the wall that controls the fan (or light)? Or does it replace the switch and somehow separate from the wall (if desired)? Thanks for any clarifications you may be able to offer.

Lutron is a major lighting automation company whose products integrate with a number of home automation platforms.

Lutron also integrates with Hubitat; you'll need a Lutron bridge/hub to use specific Lutron products, including Pico remotes, with HE.

Details of the Lutron integration can be found here:
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Lutron_Integrator

2 Likes

If you use the Pico remote exclusively on Lutron, you will more or less need to associate it to a Lutron switch/dimmer in order to be able to use it. However, to Hubitat, they are be exposed as ordinary button devices (you can actually have a Lutron system with only Picos--I do). That means you can use them for pretty much anything. That is part of the reason I think people love them.

You can use them to control lights (anything that is accessible from Hubitat, be it a bulb, switch, or dimmer, regardless of protocol), but you can also use them for anything--controlling a fan, changing modes, or literally anything you can imagine that is possible with Hubitat. So, the same as any other device or automation, except these are cheap, easily mountable, and fairly intuitive to use if used for lighting or anything similar (but your options are endless).

Your proposed uses are possible if the lights and fan are already controllable by Hubitat. If not, they aren't magic--you'll need to figure out a way to do that first.

1 Like

Lutron has recently released a fairly comprehensive guide on Picos. It's obviously meant for use with Lutron lighting and shade systems, but it's interesting to see how many different configurations there are.

1 Like

Lutron Pico Remotes are amazing little 'button controller' devices. They connect to the Lutron SmartBridge Pro via the Lutron Clear Connect wireless protocol. Hubitat then integrates via Telnet (local LAN) with the SmartBridge Pro. This allows the Pico remote to show up within Hubitat as a standard 'button controller' device. You can then use the various button 'pushed', 'held', and 'released' events to trigger logic within various Apps. These Apps, like Rule Machine and Button Controllers, allow you to decide exactly what happens next.

My wife and I each have a Pico Remote on our nightstands. We use the various buttons to control smart bulbs (Sengled Color) in our nightstand lamps, to control the master bathroom lights, etc...

I have also replaced most of my in-wall switches with Lutron Caseta Swicthes, Dimmers, Fan Controllers, and Pico Remotes. In some cases, I pair the Pico Remote to a Caseta Dimmer Switch directly within the Lutron lighting system (i.e. Hubitat is not involved.) This is how Lutron Caseta is used to replace 3-way, 4-Way, etc... light switch configurations. It is great because the local lighting control always 'just works' whether my Hubitat hub is working or not (which is almost always is, unless I have messed it up! :wink: )

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any questions. If you decide to try Lutron, EnergyAvenue.com usually has the best prices online. Make sure you buy a Lutron SmartBridge Pro2, and not the less expensive SmartBridge. The "Pro" version supports Telnet which is needed for Hubitat's integration.