Non HE wiring question

Is there anything different to wiring a GFCI outlet? I'm considering swapping out a stock GGCI outlet with one that has a USB port so I can potentially add an Aqara camera and presence sensor. I think I can handle a straight swap for a regular outlet, is the GFCI different or more difficult?

No - it is the same (hot, neutral, ground). Where did you find a GFCI plug with built-in USB? Never mind, I should have done a Google search first.

1 Like

There is a difference in line vs load terminals. The load side (for other outlets and lights down the same run) is also protected by the gfci.

4 Likes

True.

This video does a pretty good job of going over things. Just make sure not to mix up the line vs. load wires after you remove the old one.

He also does a great job of covering back-wiring vs. side wiring.

4 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Off Subject... How do you do the strike through like that?

2 Likes

Wrap the text with two tilde (~) on each side.

So ~~this is struck through~~ will appear as this is struck through.

5 Likes

I've seen guys do that for a while and been trying to figure it out with no luck.

4 Likes

Another useful character is the escape character "\". It causes the following character to be interpreted as is.

2 Likes

This! I was installing one at a friends house last weekend and mixed them up and wasted time trying to figure out why the outlet wasn’t working. Was a brand new outlet at his dock and I wasn’t thinking when I loaded the wires into the bottom terminals out of habit and the top needed the line and bottom is for load.

1 Like

I usually put a marrette on the line to mark it. So when I rewire, I don't need to flip a breaker and get my non-contact tester out ......

1 Like

Excellent Superlative

2 Likes

Great idea. This was a new outlet I added at the entrance of my buddys dock. So no existing wiring and I just terminated the wires to the bottom terminals out of habit where this particular brand of GFI wanted line to the top terminals.

2 Likes

What is that ?

1 Like

I had to look it up too, lol. Wire nut.

3 Likes

Good call -- I was going to warn about this same thing too... Different manufacturers flip those locations, so you have to be careful when swapping a replacement (ask me how I know lol)

2 Likes

Never heard it called that either.

1 Like

I guess that’s what I grew up calling it. Had to look up why today ….

5 Likes

Lots of times it will reveal itself when you do a quote of the thing you're trying to figure out. :smiley:

1 Like