Non-battery powered contact sensors?

I'm currently using a FortrezZ mimo2+ for z-wave monitoring of dry contacts and some output relays. works great, but at $80 each, it's not a cheap solution … even though it gets you two sensors.

I need four more dry contact monitoring points, and have an aversion to battery operated ones for this application (the contact points are already centrally wired, so I don't need the convenience, or maintenance overhead of battery power). Does anyone know if there any decent alternatives?, or any alternatives at all for that matter? (my searches keep coming up empty; everything is battery powered … it seems like this may be a z-wave unicorn)

About the closest thing I think is the Zooz ZEN16

Sounds like re-purposing an Alarm... and there's two things that jump to mind for that.. Konnected and Hubduino.

Hubduino is pretty general purpose, so more adaptable perhaps to your specific needs.

1 Like

Does that allow the relays to be used separately from the inputs (assuming you've used one)? … I like the price better, but a quick read through the description seems to indicate that the inputs/outputs are linked. Not a deal breaker; just trying to be sure I know what I'm looking at.

This a DIY project.

I haven't really checked yet.

@agnes.zooz could answer that though.

Maybe describe what you're doing or needing and people might have ideas.

They are door contacts, but solely for the purpose of automation, no alarm scenario involved. I've considered rolling-my-own, with some ESP8266's, I just prefer to stay on the z-wave band if I can avoid pulling in my wifi.

I've even considered using a z-uno, but there aren't readily available Hubitat drivers that I found for it; and I'm not at the point that I feel like being the one to make some. I was really just hoping for an easy answer like the mimo, with a bit less of the price tag.

If the devices are already hard-wired, you should have a look at Hubduino.
An ESP8266 is quite inexpensive.

Just monitoring some doors, nothing magic in this case. I just always prefer to avoid battery powered devices when there is an option. Everything I own that requires a battery is predictably dead when I need it to work the most … but I suspect that describes pretty much everyone.

Yeah that's the problem with batteries.... z-wave battery reporting not being reliable just makes it worse. There's not just many options for mains powered contact sensors that are z-wave.... There's also the quibino which is a small unit...

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/products/qubino-z-wave-plus-flush-1d-relay-module-zmnhnd3

Might be a few more out there somewhere....

1 Like

I've converted an Iris v2 motion sensor to usb and plan to do some contact sensors using these step-down whips.

1 Like

The inputs and outputs are linked so if the external switch connected to Sw1 terminal is tripped, the state will change on the device connected to the R1 terminal. You don't need to connect anything to the R1 terminal and just monitor the device connected to Sw1, the reports will still come through to the hub.

I 3d printed a cr2 battery sized case that I then mounted a 3.3v regulator and female microusb breakout inside of along with nickel strips at ends of "Battery" for contacts. Allows me to use either a real cr2 battery or substitute my battery eliminator with usb wall wart and micro usb cable. Microusb on left and 3.3v regulator on right. I also used a 3d printed CR2 battery case combined with conventional 2xAA, C or D cell battery holders for spots where mains power wasn't convenient but I wanted better battery longevity.

Doesn't look great but does the job.

Mike

Thanks for the clarification. Seems a shame to only be able to use half the module, but two of these costs less than one of the mimo2+ ... so even though they’re less flexible, they still make more sense to my wallet.

1 Like

That’s a very cool solution, but is about as far from quick and easy as it gets. :slight_smile:

Can you 3D print a few of those?? Or is it out on Thingiverse?

I designed my own on tinkercad with openings for the regulator and usb board. But there is a solid one on thingverse.

Mike

Yeah it does take some time to assemble.

As other recommended I would (and do use) use Hubduino with a esp8266 based board like this one with a screw shield.

https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Development-ESP8266-ESP-12F-Arduino/dp/B01D1D0EO4

https://www.amazon.com/Gikfun-Shield-Expansion-Arduino-EK7007/dp/B014SGTP20

Mike

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.