Node-Red Palette: Common Choices

I'm using the "node-red-contrib-unifi" node to detect our phone MACs when they connect (have the mac randomization turned off!) .. seems to work okay but still testing.

Has anyone who was using node-red-contrib-alexa-remote2 originally then switched to node-red-contrib-alexa-cakebaked now switched to node-red-contrib-alexa-remote2-applestrudel (node) - Node-RED?

I saw a couple of posts about the later online but cakebaked is currently working fine for me.

2 Likes

That's the one I've fallen back to (and had been using for about a year with no problems).

1 Like

No but thanks for mentioning it! I wonder why it was forked.. same devs (+ a new one) looks like from the github repo.

Edit: I'm going to go for it! will let you know.

1 Like

So it seems to work fine - I upgraded via the CLI and using NPM instead of "node-red admin"

npm uninstall node-red-contrib-alexa-cakebaked
npm install node-red-contrib-alexa-remote2-applestrudel

Will see how it goes..

edit: I wonder if they are handing things off to the new dev listed in github.. the dev has a Germanic sounding name and well "Apple Strudel" (apfelstrudel)... :thinking:

1 Like

Here's a handy suite of nodes (especially the image preview node for viewing camera captures)

5 Likes

That looks handy.. thanks for pointing it out.

I know a while back that Alexa added the ability to do a Custom Command in a Routine where you basically just type in what you would say to her. Has anyone figured out how to achieve that using node-red-contrib-alexa-cakebaked or related palettes?

@stephen_nutt - I am using the "node-red-contrib-alexa-remote2-applestrudel" nodes.. how about the "Alexa Routine" node and "Text Command"?

Also the "Custom" option looks pretty cool too - you can create your own routines dynamically?!?!?

Note: I have not used either of these capabilities yet but they look interesting..

1 Like

That's what I was looking for!!! It seems that the cakebaked version of alexa-remote2 doesn't have that option.

Basically, I wanted to use template node(s) to send to the Text Command and that might work if I can figure out where in the payload I can designate the text.

EDIT: @erktrek How can I remove the cakebaked palette without deleting all of the associated nodes so I can install applestrudel? I know it can be done because I did it to install the cakebaked version.

1 Like

Thanks for this aswell!
As I couldnt find it either, I ended up setting the custom command in the alexa app, which was activated via a virtual switch.
Will have a play with this later
Cheers

1 Like

In the CLI change to the .node-red directory and do this:

npm uninstall node-red-contrib-alexa-cakebaked
npm install node-red-contrib-alexa-remote2-applestrudel

You might want to restart Node-RED just in case.

4 Likes

Is anyone using do-red palette get this error recently?

I have stopped & started Node Red, uninstalled and re-installed the do-red palette, and rebooted the Raspberry Pi running Node Red.

I'm still on 0.2.1 and am not seeing it so may wait - thanks for the heads up. Maybe submit an issue on their github repo..

It was a Nodejs problem. I was still on 12. I misunderstood and thought the script i was using from Node Red.org website would also update NodeJS & NPM.

https://nodered.org/docs/getting-started/raspberrypi

1 Like

Interesting..thanks for the heads up. I've been using "N" to update my node.js

Thank you sir. I struggled figuring out how to update and finally got it updated. Your solution seems much simpler for next time.

I still argue that's why running node-red in docker is so much better. I never have to worry about the node version, or upgrades of it.

1 Like

I was (and probably still considered) a Linux newbie when I set up Node Red for the first time so running in a Docker seemed like an additional complication. I still haven't done anything with Dockers except for an installation of Unifi Network application and I don't understand it. I just followed instructions.

1 Like

No worries, there is no one right answer.

I would argue that it's much easier to install docker and a container than it is node JS plus node-red natively.