Node-Red Palette: Common Choices

Yeah that seems.... odd. :rofl:

I actually haven't had the need to really do any of that yet so far.. just use split and counter and sometimes DO-RED to make things a little more ordered looking.

edit: I'm guessing just low hanging fruit or minimum viable product!

3 Likes

I have had trouble getting this to successfully work. I've been trying to dim a light over 7 seconds, but there seems to be a significant delay between my msg.arguments command being sent and the response on the hubitat side to a setLevel command.

When I dim over 7 seconds none of the setLevel commands show up in the logs until it hits 0, and then the light shuts off immediately (so it does not actually dim/fade). commands to turn lights on or off, or setLevel to 0 seem to be immediate.

However, if I dim over 20 min then it does get the commands, but there is a significant delay from when node red sends the command to it showing up in the logs for the light on hubitat. Its like the set level command is being slowed down to not spam the hub? 7 seconds seems to be too fast of a fade for some reason. not sure what is going on.

Here's another palette worth adding to this list:

node-red-contrib-homebridge-automation

With this it is possible to setup automations between HomeBridge and Hubitat devices without HomeKit.

1 Like

Would this allow at least some rudimentary triggering from a nest protect without needing a homekit server?

I'm not familiar with nest's product line, but as long as it falls under one of the available plugins it should.

Have you checked out this thread on the Nest API?

Yep, AFAIK nest protects aren't on the list at the moment?

1 Like

Ah bummer :cry:

Looks good. Nest protects appear to be supported under "Homebridge Nest". I'll install when I get a chance and check this out.

I use Homebridge to get presence (motion), fire and CO notifications from my Nest Protects. I also used it to get details from a Nest Thermostat, but have recently changed thermostats. Once Homebridge has that info, then it is easy enough to get it to Hubitat (I think) or to Node-Red which I use for any triggered logic.

So to confirm, there is no need for an IOS device to make this all work?

You don’t need an iOS device, just HomeBridge and Node Red.

3 Likes

That is very cool! Thank you for mentioning this.

1 Like

Or home assistant and their homekit controller integration.

1 Like

I found Home Assistant required more maintenance than I wanted to do so I dumped it and went back to HomKit for my UI.

No worries! Whatever works.

I find home assistant running in a docker container pretty much idiot proof, but I also use docker 24/7 for work so it is in my wheelhouse - so to speak.

1 Like

Even running HA in a docker you still have to deal with their weekly “breaking changes”. That is unless you are not updating.

Running HA for about 6 months or so now, and I'll say there has yet to be a "breaking change" that's affected me. Yes, every update there is definitely a list of "breaking changes", but it's not like every one affects every user.

1 Like

Did you ever find a way to get RA2 devices into NR? I'm getting ready to migrate to the C7 and was thinking I might move the Lutron stuff to NR if possible to do without go thru the HE hub.

There is a Lutron Caseta Pro integration. You might want to see if that also works for the RA2 bridge. I was told once that the telnet commands and responses are fairly similar.

1 Like