Node-RED nodes for hubitat

Well I can see scenarios where it can occur:

1. If when deploying the node, an event is triggered by the device BEFORE that device has finished to be initialized. then it will display this message.
    But on the next event, the status will be fixed
  2. The device is really not initialized because hubitat did not respond or deploying too much devices send too much load on hubitat and BOOM :boom: .... In this case, maybe it will be the time to improve performance of this plugin ... :racing_car:
3 Likes

I believe it was #2 in my case.

This was a door sensor, and I opened/closed the door about 10x to see if it would start working on its own. Never did (but I did verify the events were created on the Hubitat side) until I deleted/re-loaded the node. Moving it (instead of deleting/creating) may have worked too, I didn't try that.

I would make fixing it a low priority, unless it happens a lot more to others? I've reloaded Node-Red about 50x this week and this is the 1st time I saw it.

By curiosity, how many device and mode node do you have on all your flows?
When you restart your NR, each device/mode node (even if there are same devices) will trigger an HTTP request to Hubitat.
It should be interesting to do some benchmark on the Hubitat device :boom:

• Config=2
  • Mode=1
  • Device=40
  • Command=59

It would be a lot more devices if I didn't do so much of my motion lighting with GE Motion Dimmers.

2 Likes

For anyone interested in this sort of thing (@stephack - I'm lookin' at ya) - I received my Bean Canyon NUC today and set it up with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Node-RED sequences are definitely faster on this hardware than my Odroid XU4. The same sequence that ran in about 400-500 ms on the XU4 is running in under 300 ms on this thing. Here's an example:

18:38:05.059 info Motion - Cat Room: Detected motion
18:38:05.324 info Cat Room was set to 100% with a duration of 1

This is my first NUC. I'm wondering if I should return this and get a 10th generation i7?

4 Likes

I ordered the i5 nuc 10. Should be plenty fast for my needs. Personally don't think the i7 meets the cost benefit ratio for my use case. I do have to wait a couple of weeks for mine to arrive while you can play now :sleepy:
I got the memory and m2 hdd this weekend. They're sitting on my desk and mocking me every day.

2 Likes

My reasoning is that I don't buy computers that often. Maybe once every 5-6 years. My laptop is a Macbook Air from 2012 and its still going strong. So maybe I should get the best I can afford today and just use it for 5-6 years? The price difference isn't that much (especially over 5-6 years).

I couldn't justify the extra 150 for minimal impact on my performance. The i5 is already overkill for my use case....but I got my tax money last week and you made me insanely jealous so I decided to upgrade my ancient box.

If you think you might push your nuc in the future and the extra funds isn't a factor....I say go for it. Never have too much power...ar..arr..ar

1 Like

What was the dollar per millisecond cost for new equipment? :grin: I need justifications when I ask my wife. Don't answer that!

5 Likes

About $3 per ms. So if I use it for as long as I've used other computers (5-6 years), the cost becomes really low.

Side note for @fblackburn ... Did you know that the device drop down list still isn't 100% alphabetized?

Seems that the sorting is case sensitive. Uppercase 1st, lower case after that.

Not a huge deal, but thought I would mention it.

I wonder if you could do Google presence within Node Red, and send it to Hubitat?

I tried adding this so I could Google Calendar events as triggers but was unable to get it to work. I'd appreciate your advice if you get it working.

I believe this will also calculate your trip time to work/home if you wanted to. It would be really cool if it could give you a notification that you need to leave in 5 minutes to get to work on time based on current traffic. I think all of the parameters are in the node(s) to do that but I just haven't pursued it.

For those of us like @waynespringer79 who are holding on ver 0.18, can you let us know when you think it's safe to upgrade to latest version please? Everything is running great currently; I don't really see anything in the update notes that affects me; and I am always nervous to affect the WAF so it's not urgent to upgrade for me currently.

Make a backup of your 0.0.18 configuration and then upgrade to 0.0.22 - zero issues for me. The advantage of a backup is that you can rollback so easily ....

I have 0.0.22 running since last night and don't see any issues so far

Having read through it, it doesn't look like you can get current location outside of navigation pretexts. At least not currently.

Although reading through select parts of the google api, it may be possible in general as there is a getCurrentLocation function in the API. There is also geofencing support in the API.

Most common way I've seen people do location tracking in Node-Red is to integrate OwnTracks wither directly via webhook or just via MQTT. But a lot of people also say OwnTracks kills phone battery life. So, :man_shrugging:.

1 Like

Well, down the rabbit hole I go.. I'm still on 0.0.18 but I'll update to .22 sometime later today.

This is the beginning of setting up my office Hue dimmer. I've only got two of the 4 buttons started but I know that what I have set up right now would have been a major headache getting set up in RM.

I'm running Pi-Hole and NR on a single Pi Zero, and while I don't want to spend $600+ on a dedicated server (that's crazy talk lol), I am thinking as I get further into all the stuff I want to do that I may need something a little more powerful. The fact you can easily export and import all flows would seem to make changing hardware a breeze.

3 Likes

Yep..I've migrated my flows across devices (and OS's) many times. Check out the pi4. It has plenty power for both. I had pihole and NR on there before containerizing and moving NR to my NUC. It ran without a hitch...and there has been a recent price reduction on the 2gb model.

2 Likes