Node-RED nodes for hubitat

I don't think you can't do GET to those addresses, they are setup to receive POST, not GET.

True, there isn't very good logging to figure out what exactly is going on.

I don't run node-red in hassio, so I won't hazard to guess.

Ok, got it. Re-read (again) and wasn't putting 2-2 together. You have to add /endpoint/hubitat/webhook in hubitat and leave node-red as /hubitat/webhook Subtle yet obvious I guess, working now.

2 Likes

Anyone have a tutorial for creating a virtual device in Hubitat to mimick my Meross Humidifier and keeping it in sync with the actual Meross device that is in my Home Assistant hub using NR? I’m used to webcore but NR is really confusing me. I have HA and HE in NR but I just can’t figure out how to make a flow.

Hello. Now that 2.2.4 just released for the C7 with hub mesh, does it make sense to use a secondary controller hub for all HE app execution or to continue to use Node Red? I wonder which one is faster now that Hub Mesh is available. My requirement is to have all of my app logic on either one hub or one PC using NR. Hub Mesh will allow me to share all my devices easily to one controller hub. Just trying to understand which is faster / more stable.

Leaving your virtual device aside for the moment, exactly what are you trying to do to control your Meross Humidifier?

Is it your goal to use HE-paired sensors to control the Meross?

I keep intending to read through this thread in more detail, but haven't quite got the stamina of @Angus_M :slight_smile: I'm happy for now to keep my home automation rules split between my HE and Hue hubs, but don't want to be left behind if I need to switch to an alternative, so am happy to take tentative steps into this rabbit hole.

Without having done much research, my question is... Can I use node red to run general scripts / commands on my raspberry pi? My intention is to be able to trigger processes on my rpi from HE and thought this may be one way to achieve that. The kind of thing I was thinking of earlier today was triggering a sync of my HE backups when I do a platform update. I currently do a sync of my HE backup files triggered through a CRON job each night on my rpi. The ability to identify a platform update being applied would depend on what events are made available to us, but regardless, the ability to trigger "stuff" on my rpi would, I'm sure, open up a lot of possibilities.

Any thoughts?

Simon

Yes. It can take the place of using RM if you want. It can also integrate with a bunch of different platforms, multiple HE hubs whatever.

1 Like

They're are a couple of different exec nodes pallets that do what I believe you are asking like this:

http://www.steves-internet-guide.com/using-the-exec-node/

There are definitely a few different cron pallets as well. I use one to run my backup sequences. The backup hub db files get uploaded to Dropbox and my Nose Red files get copied to a new folder nightly. I am not at my computer to see which pallet I use specifically.

2 Likes

For fun this is a screenshot of the apps page from my new C-7. Have already migrated a bunch of things over from my main floor C-4.

What you don't see are all my rules (sequences/flows) that live on the NR server and theoretically lightening the load on the HE hub.. working great.

Also some people are just using NR to pull and process stats from HE - so you can use it in conjunction with RM/HE apps if thats what you want to do. There is a ton of flexibility.

1 Like

Thanks @stephen_nutt, no issue re the details, I haven't even got to the point of cracking open Node Red myself, so am in no hurry, was just throwing the idea out there to see if it was a definite no or definite yes or "needs some more research". Comforting to know someone else is doing something similar.

Rudolf.txt & Santa.png?

1 Like

Thanks @erktrek. Technically I am using NR (I think), in the Maker API / InfluxDB integration I am using, but that is through an app someone else has developed, i.e. I haven't cracked open Node Red myself. The comment I made in my original post about wanting to dip my tow in to NR was making the point I am happy to tinker around the edges to use NR for some more obscure situations, with the idea being I may one day use it for more and more of my automations if I need / want to.

That's twice Autocorrect has got me with that!!!! @aaiyar caught it last time. My phone must be in the Xmas spirit already. :grinning:

4 Likes

Well you might find that at some point it is easier to just go one way or the other. That way less possible duplication, stuff to futz with.

Managing flows/sequences is incredibly simple and fast thanks to the visual interface - mostly cut/paste/editing node properties.

The big one for me - changing HE devices that use a particular sequence is as simple as editing the relevant node(s). This is proving very helpful during my migration.

edit: you can do this in RM too.. but I've found it to be more straightforward in NR. ymmv!

2 Likes

The Exec Node is a standard node that comes with the install. I tried a couple of different Cron pallets and the one below made the most sense to me. I like it because as you enter values, it puts the schedule in layman's terms in a help window below where you are entering the Cron entry.

node-red-contrib-cron-plus

I would even be willing to bet you will find a node or a group of nodes that will perform some of the scripts that you running without resorting to an Exec Node.

Welcome to the mouth of the Node Red Rabbit Hole. Jump on in!!!

2 Likes

I use cron-plus node to schedule a monthly test of my main water valve.. I verify using a contact sensor strapped to the lever.

The "blue" nodes are from a palette called "DO-RED". I use it to prettify sequencing sometimes.

I feel like I have been handed the ring by Bilbo!! :smiley: In a good way...

2 Likes

ME TOO!!!! This is the sequence I use to backup just the important Node Red files nightly. I know I don't need the delay between each file being copied but I like it anyway. Since this runs at 3am, it's not slowing me down any to have delay.

1 Like