Node-Red Flow Samples/Sharing

I understand. I am working to be rid of geofences so I am going to try using it without that delay as my setup does not use geofencing at all currently. It also doesnt work right yet either :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You also don't need that switch node with the global variable (just_arrived).

I took that out as well. I have a working prototype now! I still need to add in my wifes beacon and pushover to get messages and warnings if the door opens when it shouldn't. That will be no fun to try to figure out.

Here is what I changed yours too. Looks pretty much the same right? lol

1 Like

Looks good. I would make the Beacon and Pushover notifications into a separate sequence. Something like this:

2 Likes

That kinda segways into another question i have. The flows.... Do they all stay open on one window with multiple tabs all the time? Im not used to that. It seems strange. Can you put separate flows in the same tab? Like the one you just suggested?

I am really not used to NodeRED lol I did read up and do the tutorials, buthave forgotten most of it since delving into my first project. lol

Each tab is called a flow. Each flow can have multiple sequences. You can have as many flows as memory permits. And flows (the tabs) stay open. There are also sub-flows. Those tabs can be closed.

1 Like

While I was waiting on your answer, I tried adding my door lock to the flow. It doesnt want to lock or unlock. I did it pretty much the same way you have the garage door set. Im sure I missed something

Open the Kevo Garage lock device nodes and uncheck the box โ€œSend Eventsโ€. The blue boxes should not be filled.

ahh. I did have them checked. I dont understand why they shouldnt be, but thats ok. Im new :smiley:

When that box is checked, changes in status are sent as events, i.e the device node acts as a trigger.

When the box is not checked, changes in status are not sent as events, permitting an upstream trigger to evaluate the status of the node.

1 Like

oh ok, thank you for the explanation.

should all the device nodes send events be unchecked? The garage itself does have send events checked. It still didnt send an lock/unlock cmd

The device node does not send such a command - it merely reports on the status of the device if you have send events off. What you want to do is use a message property called "msg.cmd" and set it to "unlock" or "lock".. OR in your command nodes set them to specifically be "lock" or "unlock" - hope this makes sense..

1 Like

This is what I currently have in the command node for lock; unlock is set the same way.

For me, being a complete idiot, it looks like it should lock if unlocked. Im not sure why it isnt

Could you post a screenshot of the switch node before the command node?

Certainly and thanks a lot for this help. I havent even had a chance to try the flow you suggested for pushover :\

Putting out n00bie fires lol

You can also try putting an inject node right before the "lock" (and "unlock") and see if you can't manually lock/unlock directly. Wondering if it's the command node or something else.

The other thing is I'm not sure testing the device before you lock it is really necessary. It's certainly a valid approach though but adds a bit more overhead.

Ok, I will try that too as it currently isnt reporting its current state properly. Unfortunately I will need the property window for almost everything as I dont know if I am doing it properly at this point.

Im now working on the messages for garage and locks. Any way you can share the property windows for some of the simple nodes?

I don't use pushover so @aaiyar or someone with will have to chime in..

Change node is fairly easy.. also note the "help" pane to the right of the properties page, this usually has a lot of good info - HE Nodes is well documented!

Note: I'm NOT suggesting you RTFM but it is a handy reference for things :wink:

Note2: The other thing you can do is use the Email node for alerts too.

1 Like

I did some reading. But it is becoming clear that I did not read enough. :\

1 Like

I think you are on the right track! It takes a little getting used to - the whole message object passing thing. Once you get the hang of it it really is straightforward and very powerful.

1 Like