Node-Red Flow Samples/Sharing

Try this - if you know Linux it's just copying files over to the proper spot.

1 Like

Normally I can goof the simplest things up but this worked like a champ, Thanks!

3 Likes

It looks as though Alexa-Remote2 has been superseded perhaps by node-red-contrib-alexa-cakebaked

This is a collection of Node-RED nodes for interacting with the Alexa API. You can emulate routine behaviour, control and query your devices and much more!

All functionality is from alexa-remote2. The goal is to expose all of alexa-remote2s functionality in node-red nodes.

I started having the same issues with Routines (now its not listening to anything) then checked my PI. The BAK directory had gone, and the files I replaced were back to the original. I'm not sure how that could happen, but it did.

The downside is, you cant install this Palette without removing Alexa-Remote2 :expressionless:
I have masses of nodes running this, so here goes nothing!!

5 Likes

Good luck! I am eagerly awaiting hearing of your success so I can follow you down this path. :grin:

2 Likes

@Royski, I am also interested in our success since I to am looking at this.

2 Likes

Okay so instead of going through the manage palette I uninstalled node-red-contrib-alexa-remote2 and installed node-red-contrib-alexa-cakebaked via the CLI by doing this in the .node-red directory:

npm uninstall node-red-contrib-alexa-remote2
npm install node-red-contrib-alexa-cakebaked

I did NOT have to change any of my nodes or config!!!! Warning have not really tested this yet but everything appears to be okay. AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BAD THINGS (well not THESE bad things).

edit1: Make a backup first before doing anything!!!
edit2: restart Node-RED afterwards for the changes to show up. (thanks @cjkeenan!)

2 Likes

The change over went ok, albeit manually. Exporting all affected flows, then installing the palette and importing again. then assigning to the new Alexa. Wish I'd have seen @erktrek's post beforehand :smiley:

But..... I'm having issues here, not with the cakebaked version, it started before. NR is no longer picking up any phrase from any device, I was hoping installing this would resolve it, but nope. I'm wondering if Amazon has done something.

Another issue I've been suffering with is losing authentication with Amazon. I can hit deploy, and the Alexa nodes will fail. So I have to flick the init switch again, sometimes more than once and it will work.

Not sure what to do now. :frowning:

Did you make a backup? Restore NR and see if the (limited) Remote2 functionality returns then do the CLI update thing..

edit: just tested a routine - it seems to be working.

It backs up every night, so I already have last nights. But, reading this "failed to load routines: "no body"" · Issue #191 · 586837r/node-red-contrib-alexa-remote2 · GitHub I think it may be you do have to completely remove the remote2, and start afresh with it :expressionless:

I'm going to try this approach.

2 Likes

I was getting the same error message and it appears to work now but your setup is a lot more sophisticated than mine I think.

Everything (well a lot of things) are run via routines and specific phrases in Device Activity, I see nothing in any debug node, its like they have all gone deaf :cry:

Even after the restore? Does your authfile exist? Even with the routines issue I still had "Device Activity" functionality..

I've not gone down the restore path as yet, I don't know when it started to be honest, and I maintain the last 10 days. I'm trying the method of removing all, then do it clean and re-import the flows. Fingers crossed!!

1 Like

Ok, well the device activity part has been screwed by Amazon, so if yours is working I wouldn't change anything :expressionless:

1 Like

Yikes maybe it's headed my way.. but so far it's still working - just added a debug to my "device activity" node and asked Alexa what the weather was and the results are there.

Very lucky indeed, don't touch a thing :slight_smile:
I was thinking it may just be a UK thing, but I don't think so reading the posts.

Reading the initial post, the Dev isn't answering, which isn't good, but someone has forked it, but I don't really see what the changes are. So I'm not changing it again for now. I'll just have to go back to the old method, and keep my hopes up.

Did you ever create an authfile? Maybe that has something to do with it?

Its configured to create one, although I've never actually created one. I've had it like this since the beginning. But not had these issues until yesterday, which is when Amazon started deactivating APIs it appears.

I guess it's probably a cloud zone thing then.. and it will happen to me at some point - sigh. Yet again more reasons why to be wary of any cloud service.

I did manually create my authfile a while ago so maybe try that..

I just noticed that someone got it working in that thread you posted..

I'm not sure I agree with manually deleting some Remote2 node subdirectories - seems kinda dangerous to NR stability but whatevah.

If you remove from the CLI like I did without touching anything else I think the "cakebaked" version works as it contains the updated connections stuff.

1 Like