"No response" using new HomeKit integration (beta)

Did you try hitting the "Restart Integration" in blue? I haven't had this happen in quite a while, and I have "Restart hourly" disabled, but have seen "ignored capabilities" (temperature) showing up as "unresponsive" in Apple Home. Hitting "Restart Integration" has always fixed it for me (made them go away). I should add that I have all of my Apple devices on 16.4 beta 3.

What does that do ? Will all devices end up in the default room in Hkit after this ?

It just restarts the integration on command instead of waiting for the hourly restart, or if you opt to not enable hourly restarts it’s a way to just do it when necessary.

1 Like

OK I'll try it out next time it happens to me ... Thanks

1 Like

I seem to be having this issue also. I am on iOS 16.4 and the new HomeKit architecture. Devices in Apple home seem to work fine but all devices brought in through just the HomeKit integration seem to go unresponsive after some time. Tried restarting the integration and that didn’t change anything. Restarting the HE does work. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Try excluding your devices from the HomeKit integration 1-by-1 and seeing if it starts responding after each removal. I had some devices that were causing the integration to freeze completely.

I guess I can try that. I have a handful of devices but they all fall into 2 different devices. They are either a ge Enbrighten smart outlet or a Fibaro flood sensor.

I did try toggling on the switch that restarts the integration frequently. Let’s see if that does anything.

I was forced to upgrade my Home to enable sharing with iOS 16.5.1 (c) and am now in the group of folks who has only non-responsive devices. I've tried going nuclear, adding one device at a time, etc. (as many ideas as I could find in this discussion) and I still can't get any of my HE exposed devices to show as responsive within Apple Home.

Are ALL of your homekit hubs updated to the latest version? (homepods and apple tv?)

Yes. Only two Apple TVs and both are running tvOS 16.5

I would delete the integration on hubitat (the entire thing), delete the home on home kit and then make a new one, reinstall the integration on hubitat but then generate a new QR code and then add your devices and add to home kit

I was gone for a week and came home to the same problem with my Home integration. All non-native Home devices showing up in Home as no response.
My phone is on public beta 16 and my Apple TV was not on Beta (standard release of iOS 16. Trying to get back to operational.

I rebooted the Hubitat C8, problem solved.

2 Likes

I didn't even think to try the ol' Microsoft trick. Thanks for the solid reminder. Worked a charm.

I’m getting similar issues after upgrading to Hubitat c8. Immediately after (re)booting the c8, all of the devices integrated via Hubitat are available in Apple Home. However, after a while, all the devices become unresponsive. At this point, restarting the integration does not fix the issue, and I need to restart the hub. Devices from non-Hubitat integrations, such as Lutron or Aqara all remain connected, so I’m thinking this is a problem on Hubitat’s end.

I have two Apple TVs under my iCloud account, and with the recent updates, you cannot disable HomeKit on them. I keep one of them disconnected. What’s interesting is that when the Hubitat-integrated devices are reporting as unresponsive in Apple Home, they’re showing up listed under the disconnected Apple TV. It’s as if initially Hubitat connects to my connected Apple TV, but then after a while decides to try to connect to my disconnected Apple TV, and upon failing, stays in the defunct state.

I’ve tried removing the disconnected Apple TV from HomeKit by connecting it and removing it from a HomeKit Room, but to no avail. It keeps coming back, (perhaps Hubitat’s attempt to connect to it resurrects it in Home).

What happens if you keep both Apple TV's connected?

Keeping both of them connected does not help.

However, I might have narrowed down what the problem might be. It seems like whenever it gets into the unresponsive state, the hubitat hub stops broadcasting for _hap._tcp mdns. This is probably why HomeKit is unable to connect to hubitat, and why a reboot fixes it.

I'm not sure why _hap._tcp broadcasting goes down within a few hours of booting. I thought there was a general problem with mdns broadcasting going down, because most of the time I'm unable to resolve hubitat.local if _hap._tcp broadcasting is down. But after a couple days of experimenting there was one occasion when I could still resolve hubitat.local while _hap._tcp was down.

I'm following this thread to hopefully see a resolution to this problem.

2 Likes

Tagging @gopher.ny

There will be a fix for this in the next release.

4 Likes

Thank you @gopher.ny.

Meanwhile, here's a workaround that worked for me: Homekit integration drops out of mdns? - #9 by user4382

Hopefully this workaround won't be needed once it's fixed.

1 Like