No response from hub

I'm away this week, and from Saturday to yesterday I've been able to see my dashboard just fine.
Trying right now and getting "No Response From Hub".

I don't believe power or Internet are out, my blue iris server responds fine.

I tried my remote access and it says the hub is online, but again I cannot remote into it. Is there a temporary problem on HE's end?

There is no outage. But checked your hub and is not connected to the cloud.

Im still getting messages from the hub, like I just got an alert that someone was at my front door. So it's online in some capacity.
Any suggestions?

And I just opened my unifi app and confirmed that HE is online as far as the router is concerned, online for 3 weeks and 5 days.

I'm bumping this because, well, I'm not sure what else to do. Bobby says its not connected to the cloud, but it IS online. How do I get it re-connected to the cloud? I don't understand what I'm dealing with here.
When I go to the My Account page on Hubitat website and click Hub Details, I can see the hub online and the last check-in was 19:06, today, about a half hour ago. How is the hub communicating in this regard but not "connected to the cloud"?

I'm thinking it is worth a try disconnecting HE from the internet, waiting a few minutes and the reconnecting it? I have the ability to disconnect it remotely via the Unifi console, and I already have it set up with a "fixed IP" so I don't think it should mess anything up. Sans any other ideas I'm gonna give this a try in a few minutes.

OK, that did it. Blocking the C8 Pro from network access for a few minutes, and then unblocking fixed the problem. I'm not very good with networking, but I believe this is a Hubitat problem, not a problem with my network.

I'm probably not gonna make many friends around here by saying this, but I'm not super enthusiastic with HE's support on these boards.

Bobby did check if my hub was online, or connected to the cloud, but after telling me it wasn't hasn't chimed in since. I kinda feel they're quick defending the product or correcting me when I questioned if their Dashboard service was down. When I showed him the hub was still on the network and it seemed like something a little odd may have been going on with the C8, it was silence. IDK am I expecting too much?

Bottom line I got it working, but I don't consider it solved because we don't know why it happened or how to fix it.

1 Like

Well, let's be reasonable in our expectations of personal 1-on-1 support from the Hubitat staff. They do have their own personal lives. You posted a question ~5 hours ago, which was answered by @bobbyD pretty quickly, but near the end of a typical 8am-5pm East Coast work day.

Let's try to be understanding that Hubitat is not a 24x7 real-time support type of company. It is a small company of dedicated, hard working employees who do spend quite a bit of time here in the community answering questions and helping thousands of users.

4 Likes

What tool are you using for your Notifications? The reason I ask this is because the HE hub can reach out directly to solutions like Pushover, without using the Hubitat Cloud server whatsoever. Thus, just because you received a notification on your phone does not mean that your hub is successfully communicating with the Hubitat Cloud server.

Usually, simply rebooting the HE hub will force the hub to immediately try to reconnect to the Hubitat Cloud server. I am pretty sure is does this automatically, but perhaps at a regular interval of every N minutes? This way your hub isn't just bogged down constantly trying to reconnect when the internet is down at your house for some unknown reason.

I use Ubiquiti UniFi network gear and have used multiple generations of Hubitat hubs (C3, C4, C5, C7, C8, and C8-Pro) successfuly, with no Hubitat Cloud connectivity issues. So, I do not believe there is an inherit issue with the hubs that causes this type of problem.

Not sure what it's called, but in rule machine there's an option to send a notification to your phone.

As for Unifi, I think we're both saying the same thing but coming to different conclusions. I don't think there's any problem with Unifi. But my C8 Pro did this weird thing today, after sitting idle (not really idle, but, no changes, no new devices, etc) for a few days. Something caused this to happen and most likely the issue is with Hubitat itself. I'm not trying to be unreasonable in thinking we shouldn't be expected to power cycle a hub if it's just monitoring devices and running existing rules.

In response to your first reply, I was torn on writing that but I chose to because this isn't the first time I've had that feeling. Yes I know these guys aren't here only to help me, and I don't expect them to do one on one support every hour when I have an issue. BUT, I don't want to pull old threads and make this a bigger thing, for sure I've gotten silence when I'm reporting strange behavior that insinuates there may be an underlying issue with HE. At the same time the same guys are checking off the solution box answering how to use Room Lighting for the hundredth time.

It is what it is. Maybe this was a one off thing, I hope it is. If anyone else notices this then chime in and we'll know there's a problem.

Just a quick update, this morning when I tried to open the dashboard it was offline again. This time after resetting the network connection from my Unifi app, I went into HE and did a reboot. Hopefully it stays connected now, but I'll report back if not.

While this issue appears isolated, the next update will have enhancements around hub connectivity. The problem is not only with your network equipment, but rather somewhere in the middle. I had the same issue the other day. Usually rebooting the hub fixes the problem, but not always.

UPDATE: the next release is out. Please be sure to update to version 2.3.9.174 : Release 2.3.9 Available - #18 by gopher.ny

5 Likes

Glad to hear it's being addressed. I will hold off on updating until I'm back home with the hardware this weekend, rather not apply an update remotely.

2 Likes

I’ve had the same issue, and sure enough, blocking my C5 hub in UniFi, then unblocking solved the issue for me, at least for now.

1 Like

Just 10 minutes after doing the block/unblock hack, I upgraded the hub to 2.3.9.176. After the reboot, the hub was again unavailable on the cloud. Doing the block/unblock again fixed the issue again. Not sure why a hub upgrade/reboot would have brought this issue back.

I’ve actually also been seeing this same issue on my C5. Rebooting the hub fixes it for me. Upgrading now to the latest release in hopes that it prevents the issue from happening again.

Just thrown my 2p over here as I'm seeing the same issues on my C7, but not my C8.

Happened again today despite the hub being on the latest release. This is a big problem.

@bobbyD any suggestions?

1 Like

Happened today again. Wonder if it has to do with it being a Sunday?!? :laughing: seriously though this is a major problem. Please advise promptly. Has anyone looked into this and the problem persisting in the latest release? @support_team @bobbyD

Same thing here too.

Used the dashboard on my C7 last week and it was online, took the opportunity to update both to 2.3.9.180. Came to load the dashboard today and the C7 is once again offline (but working perfectly locally). The C8 continues uninterrupted with the same network settings, connected to the same router.