No response after power/internet outage

Does anyone else have no response issues after a power outage or internet outage? I notice my devices go no response until I reboot my Hubitat hub or restart the HomeKit integration.

I'm running a C5 on the latest firmware and I don't have this problem. My internet access was down for a bit today while the tech worked on the drop to my house and I had no issues whatsoever.

1 Like

No issues here with internet outages and my hub is on a UPS so power outages are no problem at all.

I could have been various issues, sounds like something was not able to get connected right away after the internet / router restarted or whatever happened exactly. Your Home Hub possibly did not reconnect right away or the hub was not able to make the HK connection.

Aside from the database corruption potential when power is unexpectedly removed from the hub, sometimes the hub will come back online before your router's DHCP services are available, which means the hub fails to acquire the right IP address.

3 Likes

What Brad said; this is the issue I run into after a power outage, requiring a reboot of the hub.

1 Like

I definitely do when when my power bounces. Thinking it has to do with the order the devices recover

1 Like

Yup. I still have this issue. If the internet goes down…at some point after it’s restored my devices will indicate no response. I have to reboot the hub to get them back.

Yes, I have to reboot hub every single time I lose power, it’s a real pain. There has to be some kind of retry logic that can be added to the hub to make it more reliable. I never had this problem when I used SmartThings hub. If Samsung can figure it out ….

if your hub is not on a ups.. my guess is your database is correct.. recommend you restore a older backup that hopefully is not corrupt.. and put it on an ups.. if it just the internet going down and not the hub it probably is some issue with your router.. do you have your hub assigned an ip via dhcp.. if not try that..

The issue is usually caused by the fact that the Hubitat hub boots up faster than your router after a power outage. The hub waits for a while to obtain a DHCP address, but then times out as your router’s DHCP server is not yet fully up and operational. Thus, the HE hub auto-assigns itself an IP address in the 169.x.x.x range, thereby making it unavailable for your other devices to connect to it.

There are a few ways users have mitigated this issue.

1. put your hub and router on a UPS - this will keep both devices powered up during short power outages and prevent the aforementioned ’race condition’
  2. configure your hub to use a static IP address (make sure you know what you’re doing before trying this!). By configuring the hub with a static IP Address (and DNS Server Address!) the hub will always have a valid IP address any time it boots, even if your router is not yet up.

Personally, I prefer option 1 above. I also have my DHCP server configured to always assign the same IP address to my hub.

If you do try option 2, please familiarize yourself with the network reset button found on the bottom of your C5, C7, or C8 hub. If you mess up the static IP settings, you will need to use this button to reset the hub to use DHCP so you can get back I to it.

Always make a local backup of your hub before making any changes, and download those backups to a safe location on your home network for safekeeping. It is really nice being able to restore a backup if one accidentally makes an unwanted change.

4 Likes

I will give option 1 a try and report back after the next power outage. Thanks

1 Like