[No Longer Supported] Twilio Notifications Driver - Supports SMS and Voice Calls

When I first looked at the documentation on Twillio I guess I didn't read it quite right. Looked again and yes, it would be quite involved. So forget that idea. Not that important to me.

@j715, @Dustyd5, @jwprovencher I have updated this driver to make voice calls. Please see the first post for detailed instructions.

1 Like

That’s great. Be a few days before I can try it out but looking forward to it.

1 Like

This sounds amazing. I will have to try it soon.

1 Like

I am attempting to set this up. Everything seems to work fine, my Twilio account verifies ok, etc. But when I create a device I just get an error saying 'Unable to Create Device'.

I enter a name, a phone number in the form +1xxxxxxxxxx.

What might be the problem?

I deleted everything and started over and now it works. Thanks for your efforts.

1 Like

There shouldn't be any issue with using the same Twilio credentials on more than one Hubitat system should there? I want to let a friend use my Twilio account on his system also.

Not at all, I use my same account for another application too so all good there. Maybe yall just trade off funding the account once a year+. $20 goes a long way with Twilio's pricing.

1 Like

Do you know if there is a way to delay the phone message for a couple seconds? I notice that once you answer the phone it immediately starts talking and it's easy to miss the first few words. I can always just add some dummy words at the beginning, but wondered if there was some kind of delay. Maybe comma's?

Yes I seem to remember doing this years ago at work so need to research. Commas also work too

Found it! Updated OP but you need to modify your TwiML bin record and enter number of second pause:

That works great. Thanks for all you have done on this.

1 Like

I just punted twillio as it got too expensive as they were now forcing you to okay 2.00 a month for the number and extra for voice access which I font need. 60? bucks a year plus per text. I already have a voip account with numbers via callcentic which is cheaper than twillio and i use it for our home .

Do u know of a general sip device handler for hubitat that I can configure. Thanks.

Just curious, I'm only paying $1 a month for a phone number, then less than a cent per call or text.

Wondering what you have that is different than I do?

I am only paying $1 a number as well and haven’t seen any price increase emails. I’ve been using Twilio since 2013 and numbers have always been $1 but in recent years tax laws changed and they now charge tax.

Plivo is a competitor of Twilio with similar features. I haven’t looked into them in many years but it might be another option for you.

@MHedish posted several alternative SMS drivers to the community. I haven’t tried them but maybe they would work better for you.

i signed up for a toll free number as it was only a dollar more and cheaper per msg rates as it avoided the att or other surcharges.. but all of a sudden this month they stqarted charged a 3.09 voice fee which i never agreed to and apparently is required.. From reading I believe they are going to charge everyone that 3 extra per month.

I already use my email to sms gateway I wrote and am now looking into using callcentric via their web for to send msgs. I Like to have a backup in case the email gateway is down for serious issues.

I don’t have the toll free number so just $1. I can’t find anything on the site about additional voice charges.

I haven't heard of any voice fee additions but as @j715 mentions I don't have a toll free number either and I haven't been able to find any price increase notifications. I also haven't paid any additional ATT surcharges either. If you have any links to this please post here.

Have you looked at Plivo that I mentioned above? Their monthly phone number rate is only $0.50 and their API is very similar to Twilio and I can easily make a Plivo driver , though voice API and speak notifications might not be possible with Plivo.

@kahn-hubitat I was able to quickly copy my Twilio drivers and make one that works for Plivo for SMS messaging. Checkout their pricing and let me know if this is something that you would be interested in. When signing up, I was given $10 credit so you can easily give it a try and see what charges you incur and compare.

thanks if you have driver let me know.. signed up but said put on waitlist till they clear their backlog.