[No Longer Maintained] Orbit BHyve Integration

I'll look at the API this upcoming week and post my own thread because [DEPRECATED] is not something it will be.

I have a bit of experience with the API in the past, hopefully it won't be that bad.

Credits ALWAYS go to the originator.

1 Like

cool! Looking forward to it

I study API for example of how it 'moves'

It's usually JSON, then break it down into week will what happens on 'events' (open/close)

Let's see what happens. I wish it was now, hell, 100° in AZ....... Would love that automatic mist..

Can you explain what happens before you get that error? Or is it random?

I'm getting an integer error;

This probably will help solve two issues. However, I have to get reconnected before any of this happens.

I believe these errors are thrown when the app does polling of the sprinkler system... I have the Orbit 57946 B-hyve Smart 6-Zone Indoor/Outdoor Sprinkler Controller. I only use four zones. I have it set to refresh every 5 minutes in the app.

1 Like

Hi,
I am using a 12 zones controller and gettting the same error message for 3 yeasrs now.

Does not seem to affect the functionality I am using it for which is mainly manual Open or Close a valve from the dashboard.

I just posted this in another thread a few days ago... Seems like this might be related to an underlying change on the hub itself... But none of the Hubitat folks responded to me.

I also never saw the error in the 2 years of using this driver until the C-8 hub upgrade from a C-7 hub. I was able to resolve it in replacing line 265 in the Orbit Bhyve Controller App with the following. It replaces the null with a 0 (zero).

if ((it.status.watering_status.current_station ? it.status.watering_status.current_station : 0).toInteger() == deviceStationId.toInteger()) {

2 Likes

As I have very little knowleadge in code writing, should this change have any effect on the app?

I did not see any issues in my testing. For this line of code, my logic is a null is the absence of a value which in this comparison, a zero represents nothing. Best explanation I can give.

Thank you! I'm going to put that code in and try it out... Based on that other thread, I think there is something in the underlying OS that changed and was conflicting... This just might be the answer!

I have implemented the change suggested by @swade and it seems like the error in line 265 has gone away.
I still have a couple of other errors showing up:

Any idea?

They must have changed something with the API. I think I saw the "465" error too and it was because one of my valves isn't assigned to a zone. The API timeout may have just been a server issue on their side that can be ignored if it isn't persistent. If it is, try logging in again through the Hubitat app.

I do not see those issues but the code and errors are bridge related. Is your Orbit bridge connected and can you see it from the phone app? You may need to reset the device connection (in the app under the Orbit bridge device).

I can access the orbit station local or remote through the orbit app. No issues there.

crap.. another community app that's not being maintained anymore. I just noticed the log error mentioned above and wanted to see if it could get fixed.

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object on line 265 (method refresh)

I see a PR already opened for maybe another issue. I'm sure this one would also be super easy/fast to fix too.

Is anyone interested in re-packaging and submitting to HPM? I just did this yesterday with a Life360 app that wasn't maintained anymore. I could do this one too I guess if no one objects or wants to.

2 Likes

Funny enough, it's on my to-do list too, but if you've got the time...

The error for me is only against a new timer I added this season that I believe is not assigned to a zone so the code is choking on it.

Everything still functions though from my testing.

1 Like

In my case the hose works too so it's just a error in the logs every 10 minutes

I wonder if others just manually edit the drivers locally - knowing that they're not going to be updated by HPM anytime soon (or ever)? I think I did that in the past once but then some time down the road I forget all about it.

It's totally up to you.. I'm still trying to get my first HPM package in but it seems fairly straightforward too

Curious how you guys are using this with HE? I had this installed for a while, but it wouldn't consistently work and I'd have to remove devices and reconfigure to get to working again, only to have it stop working a few days later.

My experience with the app has been that it works absolutely fine, does exactly what I need, responds to rain delays per my settings, and notifies me after watering of each area is completed, just as intended. Since it's cloud based, I cannot figure out what I'm missing by not using it with HE, especially since I don't have soil moisture sensors.

The ability to spray my dogs with the hose on-demand :smiley:

2 Likes