Newbie wants a bit of buying advice on used Smartthings kit

Newbie here.

I've got a couple of Wiz/Hue lights and have just snagged a Hubitat C4 from UK Ebay to basically play about with. I've got it working OK and it's connected to my lights.

I have little experience with home automation and have no grand plans as yet just a lot of curiosity.

I'm able to get a used Samsung Smartthings starter kit (V2 hub I think) with all the sensors for a reasonable price (£25).

Would it be worth my while buying it to play with the sensors to satisfy my curiosity?

If not what would you folks recommend?

you had better get more info on it before purchasing... if it is the model from vodafone (since discontinued) then you are simply throwing your money away as I don't believe those hubs can be connected anymore.

1 Like

I was more interested in the sensors than the hub. Do the sensors work on their own or do they need a Voda subscription?

What sensors are included in the kit?

1 Like

Multi, motion, Presence and smart plug.

Depends … if you know the model numbers… you can probably get more precise info as to whether you can use them or not. I am assuming they are all ST sensors?

Yes they're all part of the kit that Samsung used to sell. Might take a chance. Even if only a couple of them work it will be a learning experience.

If that presence sensor is in good shape, it's probably worth a pretty penny!

1 Like

I've got loads of smartthings plugs working excellently with my Hubitat C7

1 Like

Slipperly slope my friend. I was you 7 years ago. Here I sit, much $$$$ later in the center of my "dumb smarthome" as my wife calls it.

@jkp is correct...Can I use SmartThings V-Home Vodafone Hub without a Vodafone account? - Connected Things - SmartThings Community

My ST V2 in the USA has reliably been running automation for the last 7 years and with the recent upgrade, very fast as well. I'm pissed they dropped support for some devices :man_shrugging:. It's a great hub but can't touch the power & flexibility of Hubitat, albeit with some tradeoffs.

1 Like