Newbie needs some reassurance! (Smartthings transition)

Hi everyone.
I'm a new UK user looking to move my smartthings setup across to Hubitat, however I'm finding the move quite difficult.

Almost every sensor that I use except motion seems unsupported natively. I have smartthings multi sensors, and aqara temperature sensors and aqara water leak sensors. However I can't get HPM to work. (I've set up a separate thread, so don't worry about that specifically here) Is there a way of getting round this without HPM?

I use modes a lot. We mostly change the mode using Alexa voice control. Is this possible? And is there a way of Alexa seeing which mode I'm in? (Currently I'm using mirrored virtual switches which can be seen and changed in both smartthings and Alexa.)
I find the hubitat modes screen confusing. Is it possible to be in more than one mode at once? How does it decide which mode to go back to once away is no longer true?

I found the geofence in smartthings to be terrible and very hit and miss. Even when forced to behave with a backup via life360. I'm wondering if the Hubitat one will be better, or if it's just my phone. (OnePlus 8 pro IN2023)

Has anyone also got any general tips on moving from Smartthings over to Hubitat? How do I do this with as little disruption as possible?

I need to initiate my wife in to the new system once I make the big switch too, which I'm not looking forward to, as this seems a lot more difficult to operate? Maybe I just need to get my head around the dashboards a bit more.

Thanks all.
Mike.

Of course.
HPM just automates all the clicks you would normally do. You can click the Apps Code or Driver Code menu items and then paste or import the code.

2 Likes

I've got HPM working now thanks to community help. If anyone else has thoughts on the above I would very much welcome them!

Which screen exactly? Are you able to post a screenshot and some more details of what you don't understand? Or what makes you think you could be in more than one mode? If you are referring to the modes setup screen, that is just a place to configure what modes you want to have available on your HE hub.

More generally on modes... The "mode" itself is literally just a system wide setting that represents the current (single) mode for the system. Think of it like a Hub Variable, but one that the HE platform knows will definitely be there. My understanding is the platform comes with an initial setup very similar to modes in a home security system, hence their inclusion in the built-in HSM App. Everything to do with modes is entirely up to you and how you want to configure and use them, including the modes you want available (see above), how and when you move between modes and what you do in response to moving between or being in certain modes (e.g. automations).

So, to get a bit more practical....

I have Night, Day, Evening, Relax and Away mode configured. I know I added Relax, but can't remember if I added Evening or not... I have a mixture of physical / manual transitions between modes, including triggering by button presses, but also lux readings and time-based changes. The Button presses are handled primarily through instances of the Button Controller App, with other transitions in Rule Machine. At one point in time I think I had them linked with Google Home, but I can't be sure. You also have the ability to change modes from HE Dashboards, if they are something you are interested in. Modes can be made controllable from external systems using the Maker API App. There is the built-in Mode Manager App that focuses entirely on when and how to move between modes. I have dabbled with it at times in the past, but I tend to want more manual control and have often drifted towards the Rule Machine and Button Controller Apps.

In terms of responding to changes in Mode, I have various Rule Machine rules for this, such as moving from Night to Day where I adjust / turn on certain lighting, open the blinds and turn on the TV in the Kitchen, or Day to Evening where I adjust the lights and make sure the blinds are closed. Tip - I only learnt this recently, but if you set a Required Expression of Mode = X, then have a trigger of Mode = Y, that will effectively trigger on the change of the Mode X to Mode Y.

Another tip... You may have noticed I split my descriptions into triggering changes to the mode and responding to the changes in the mode. This is how I like to setup my automations, separating these two concepts, allowing me to change / disable one without needing change the other. And reducing the need to repeat logic across potentially multiple spots in HE.

I also have a range of places where Modes dictate how automations work, primarily in my lighting. If I walk into a room and motion is detected, the appropriate Philips Hue Scene will be activated based on the Mode HE is in, driven through Room Lighting using the Per Mode option. Similar options exist in Rule Machine and other automation Apps when defining conditional actions to use modes in the conditional logic.

You will find a variety of ways people use Modes around here, or even people who don't use them. That's one of the great things about the platform, the choice. In the end, it is up to you how you want to use the Hubitat platform... And I should stop now, I'm starting to sound like a commercial... :slight_smile:

Hope this helps...

2 Likes

Alot of those work natively in hubitat. For HPM and some other stuff, read this post. It will help some gotchas and help get HPM installed. Also look at the section in z-wave relating to ghosts...

2 Likes

I think I struggle with this part of the modes.

There doesn't seem to be an option of telling it what mode you want when it comes back from away in that bottom line. Is the away just true or false and separate from the other modes? I think this is why I was confused about the possibility of being in more than one.

1 Like

Logs show:

app:878 2023-12-30 10:11:12.154 AM info Mode set to Day from Away by pseudoPresence Returned
app:878 2023-12-30 10:10:59.254 AM info Mode set to Away from Day by Presence pseudoPresence departed for all left

This is Mode Manager on a Development hub and I have a virtual presence device defined. As you can see from the logs, when I changed presence to 'not present', mode changed to away. When I clicked presence back to 'present', mode changed back to the correct mode: day.

4 Likes

Also, if you haven't read through it already, you may want to read through the documentation:

3 Likes

To go a little further into an explanation of Modes:

The top table is a set of Times when modes change, notice there's no TIME when Away is true. Instead, the second table of Presense alters Away. And when presence becomes 'present', Mode goes back to whatever is correct from the Time table. Presence overrides Time when 'not present' and then quits overriding when presence becomes 'present' again making Time dominant.

4 Likes

Is there a way of setting the mode via Alexa? I've got some virtual buttons set up, but they aren't being seen by Alexa, even though I've got them selected so I guess they aren't supported. Any ideas?

That's somewhat surprising, but kind of not given my experience in Google Home. Try using a Virtual Switch.

2 Likes

Yes! Virtual switches can be seen but not buttons, I'll set up mode changes with switches rather than buttons. Thank you!

1 Like

You may also be interested in using the auto timeout option for a virtual switch, which means it ends up acting like a button, temporarily moving to the "on" state which can be used in automation (rules), but quickly reverts to off ready to be turned on again by platforms like Amazon Alexa or Google Home. I use it to trigger a rule via Google Home using my voice, triggering the rule by the VS turning on, which immediately turns off.

4 Likes