Newbie - HELP - what wall switches do I need

Excellent. Thank you very much. I heard about blue iris. Well that work with hubitat, eg, say if I set up a tablet as a wall panel, with hubitat primarily displayed, with tiles, linkage to cameras via blue iris?

Another option is to buy a small Synology NAS and extra Camera licenses (it comes with 2). You can trigger the home away modes on Synology Surveillance Station from Hubitat to sync them with your Home/Away presence.

I do this myself but I don't bother hooking up the video to my Hubitat Hub, I just use their excellent DS Cam App to view the feeds and any events captured.

I've seen posts saying that yes it can, but I have not attempted this. I'm also fairly sure some cameras will work without having to use Blue Iris if you don't need recording abilities. For specific questions like that I'd start a new thread and get some people who've done it.

The list of cameras supported by Synology is pretty extensive. I personally use the supported ReoLink cameras as you can block their internet access on your router and not lose any functionality.

https://www.synology.com/en-au/compatibility/camera?brand[]=Reolink

Thanks. I've Already been caught out on US/USA difference with power.

I wanted a smart wall panel and I found one called Brilliiant and bought it from. America.

These smart panels are pretty call. You literally take out your light switches, be it 1 light switch or up to 4 light switches, and replace it with the smart panel - you still have a switch for each light switch plus a small lcd panel. Not complicated all.

However when I got it I realised it was 120 Volts! Anyway, got a step down controller, to drop from 240 and had sparky install. It's awesome and wish we had one like this in Australia. It is compatible with a range of products, like it picks up my ring door bells Phillips hue lights etc. But ultimately it's not supported for Australia and ultimately I need a platform that will work more seeemlessly and I'd supported in Australia.. hence going to hubitat

1 Like

One popular topic with Hubitat is the ability to work on your local router when it is not connected to the Internet. I don't know if that matters to you.

I would trust the Internet and expect to use Alexa if you are an Amazon Dot/Echo person or one of the other voice assistant families to control everything.

For me, voice control is the easiest compared to using a dashboard on a device. You don't have to choose up front. You can have both.

Using Z-wave in AU/NZ quickly becomes expensive though. There are not many approved mains powered devices in either Z-wave or Zigbee which is an issue for us. I would like to mention the Mercator Ikuu Zigbee range here. I have yet to be able to get my hands on any of their devices, but there are a few people here that have started using them. Have a look at this thread https://community.hubitat.com/t/mercator-ikuu. Will be cheaper than using Aeotec Z-wave inwall switches.

Another option is the Shelly relays.
They are wifi but are a lot cheaper than the Aeotec modules so as you already have a decent unifi network this shouldn't cause you any issues.

As an example 12 Shelly relays cost $260 were an Aeotec nano is $59 each.

The big downside to this as you won't have a mesh to add in sensors or other devices.

I'm in Australia and I went the relay behind the switch route but found a few issues with Z-Wave signal strength and also needed to replace all light switches to not be rocker switches that looked on or off when the relay was in the opposite state. I also had limited space behind some of my switches.

I've settled on and had installed 76 x Nue Smart Touch light switches that are Zigbee and because I have at least one in every room, I have a really good Zigbee mesh across the entire house.

I've got 1-Gang as well as 2, 3 & 4. I'm really happy with them and they have an LED that you can see at night too.

With the 2 gang light switch, are you able to dim the switch one at the time OR just on/off option?

Also, do you need a special driver to connect the Nue smart touch to HE?

Thanks

just on/off. No special driver needed, officially supported.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply; I suspect to make a dimmable light switch is to combine "smart light switch" and "smart in ceiling light dimmer"? If you don't know the answer about this, all good; I can get in touch with 3A Smart Home directly :slight_smile:

How's the reliability of Nue smart switch? so far so good for you?

I've been using the 3A switches and then in-wall zigbee dimmers where I want dimming as well. Most of my lights are automated with motion and then different dimming levels based on luminance and time of day or mode.

Reliability is great but over time i've had to replace the 3M tape used to hold the glass on the front of each one, the QLD humidity perhaps caused every one of them to eventually fall off. With proper 3M tape they've been fine and i've got 30+ and have only had 1 replaced in 2 years so far.

Don't forget Lutron Caseta. It looks like it's available in AU. I just dumped all of my zwave garbage for it and I am super happy. Way more reliable and higher quality.

Caseta is great and very reliable.

Hi Urban

with goals similar to mine, I'm also intersted in this topic.
I havent purchased the HE yet as i want to be sure its cmpatible with my currenty installs:

• I already had an Arlo Pro 4 camera system installed for a few years now, and there is a promising thread on integration going.
  • 2 b-hyve taps on one b-hyve hub
  • trialling one Holman tap timer as b-hyve can be a nightmare to pair.
  • and most power points are the arlec grid style from Bunnings.
  • a 'brilliant plugs and outdoor flood lights aswell
  • 3 motorized outdoor blinds running off a neo smart hub
    So far the Grid app recognised all the powerpoints, plugs, lights, even the holeman tap
    and with IFTTT integrated some good scenes to turn on lights with arlo motion etc..
    open blinds in windspeed from weather undergound above 10km/h etc...
    I know wifi isn't the goal here, but my cloudmesh modem and one mesh repeater gives me good signal throughout...
    the reason for my change in interest is IFTTT is no longer free and lately been super glitchey and slow to run scenes..
    so a one hub that fits all sounds promising...

cheers
Addy

edit: power points and switches are "Delta" branded not Arlec

If I had to do it all over again I'd go with Lutron for lighting & zigbee for everything else. z-wave seems like it's a lot better with Hubitat now a days but I'd still avoid it if possible. Whenever there's an update for Hubitat I have to start messing with what's left of my z-wave network pretty annoying. No updates it runs fine for months just a little slow compared to zigbee. Especially Door locks!!!!

1 Like

I am looking at the Shelly relays for a tool shed that is about 120 feet away from my house, my WiFi access point and the Hubitat hub. I have a 80/20 z-wave to zigbee rock solid setup but I am afraid the distance will be to great to install a switch with either protocol. I have a mesh WiFi access point in the shed and was wondering if the Shelly relays will function locally on the network while still informing the Hubitat hub what their status is. I was also concerned by your statements regarding sensors and other devices. Are you saying that I can not include my current switches (from my home) in a rule to activate the Shelly switches and vice versa?

Yes they will work as they are on the compatible devices list.

No I meant that they won't extend the zigbee/zwave networks if you wanted to add any sensors.