New ZSE29 Zooz Outdoor Motion Sensor Readings

I threw a very small bead of clear silicone around the lens and also around the seam of the shell of the main unit where they join together. Hoping that might help. Putting a small bead around the back plate and where the adapter cord comes out probably wouldn't hurt either. Might be a problem if battery operated but not with the adapter.

I didn't even bother going that far, and mine have been outside for >2 years.

But I'm in Texas, so rain is the only real consideration other than blistering heat. And the same cover that keeps mine out of the rain, keeps them out of the sun most of the day.

1 Like

Yeh I would think putting some sort of shelf above them or having them under the eave would work.

We're working on a firmware update to enable advanced settings, including the time-out interval and sensitivity for motion. Not sure if that will be possible without hardware changes and if we could also add the lux readings to report since it will all affect battery life as well but we'll definitely try!

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to see in the next version.

4 Likes

Thanks Agnes. I am looking forward to your updates and changes. I think there are probably quite a few others that are interested also.

2 Likes

Being that this sensor has direct power capability, consideration for battery life should be at the bottom of the priority list IMO, I was going to buy one of these mainly for the outdoor rated AND being an outdoor repeater while plugged in, but if these updates are not possible without hardware changes, I believe I'll wait for the next version.

1 Like

Just a quick update on the advanced settings for the ZSE29 Outdoor Motion Sensor - we'll be adding a motion retrigger interval setting to the next production run which is scheduled for next month and will be released in mid-June. We couldn't push it much farther due to low inventory so we'll be adding more settings in subsequent updates. I'll keep you posted.

4 Likes

Hi guys, just a quick update, the new outdoor motion sensor is already available here. We added 2 parameters to adjust advanced settings for motion retrigger and lux trigger adjustment so once you make the adjustments in the hub, it will overwrite the manual knob settings. This version was just a software update so we have an OTA file to share if anyone needs it (request it here, remember to include your order number).

As mentioned before, we're working on a new version with motion sensitivity settings and a few other advanced adjustments. The new VERSION 2.0 will be released in early October and, since it requires a hardware update, you won't be able to update your current version to the 2.0 version via OTA so please keep that in mind.

What is needed in order to perform this OTA software update?

Since Hubitat doesn't yet support OTA firmware updates for Z-Wave devices, you'd need to follow the workaround steps described here:

http://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/253-how-to-perform-an-ota-firmware-update-on-zooz-devices/

Thank you!

1 Like

Agnes -

Which driver are we supposed to use with this new firmware? I updated one of the 4 I have, but the ported SmartThings driver doesn't support any additional settings...and the ZEN18 one doesn't seem to do much more...

If a device supports the configuration command class and you randomly try drivers meant for other devices you could end up temporarily breaking the device.

Assuming the configuration parameter that was changed is documented you might be able to fix it by playing around with the settings, but if not you'll have to remove the device and factory reset it.

The chances of that happening are low, but if you have a device being used in a lot of automations it's probably not worth the risk.

That disclaimer is completely unrelated to the ZSE29, but I want to make sure that new users are aware that it's not completely safe to try drivers that were written specifically for a different device.

I'll add the new settings to the ST handler this weekend, but in the meantime you can use the driver below to change those settings and then switch back to the generic z-wave motion sensor driver.

I don't believe that generic driver blindly changes configuration parameter values so any changes you make with the driver below should stick.

3 Likes

There's not a dedicated driver for it yet since we just released the version but you can use the basic Z-Wave Parameter Tool to manually adjust parameters in the meantime as mentioned by @krlaframboise .

Note there is now OTA updates

2 Likes

That can probably be used to update firmware 1.0 and 1.01 to version 1.03, but those versions can't be upgraded to 2.0 because hardware changes were made to support lux reporting.

I just bought one 3/21. FW2.1 looks like 3 additional parameters in the driver, nice. I wish the power pigtail was a few inches longer. I mounted it on a Wall in a breezeway near the ceiling. I used a 6 foot USB extension for power and heat shrinked the plug connection near the unit. But with a 3 inch pigtail, which comes out of the bottom of the device, I had to route the wire up the side of the device to the ceiling. Unfortunately the rather large shrink wrapped connection over the plugs looks like hell. I am going to take grief for that. If the pigtail were at least 7 or 8 inches long or you could route it through the top of the device instead, it would be a lot more attractive. I can't cut a hole through the wall.

Thank you for the feedback, I've forwarded it to our development team!

Could report on n lux change be added to the zse29?
Right now it has only report every n minutes.
Others zooz sensor have report on lux change.