New Xiaomi Aqara Relay 2 channel

Received my dual relay today. This is a very nice device, considering the cost.

A couple of notes:

1. The screw terminals work opposite. Turning the screw clockwise clamps the wire toward the top of the slot, Turning the screw counter-clockwise clamps toward the bottom of the slot in the relay. Doesn't seem to matter which side of the clamp you choose, both work.

2. Many of these type of clamping terminals clamp metal to metal. This has green plastic inside the slot that the metal clamp tighten's against. As a result, I found that it was necessary to tighten the screw hard to keep the wire from accidentally pulling out. Do be carful

3. Pairing is simple. Hold the button (top-right in the photo) for 5 seconds. The relay appears in the HE Zigbee discover window.

While the size is smaller than anticipated (common with Xiaomi devices), it is quite large. I'm not sure I would put this in a switch or outlet box, even if there was room because of concerns about the way the wires clamp into it. Not to mention that this is not a UL, CUL or CSA approved device.

Anyway, I have now completed my project and have this closing contacts on relays with 120v coils in order to get true isolation from the mains voltages. The relays trigger either the Arm or Disarm buttons of my iSmart Alarm fob. The fob is powered by a 5v to 3v step-down buck module and this is supplied by an iPhone power adapter.

Works great, and I finally have local arm and disarm capability for my iSmart Alarm system.
Thanks to @guyeeba for the drivers to make it possible and @Rxich for the investigative work and advice.

3 Likes