New user - Did I make a mistake? Schlage smart lock & C-8

Do a full reset on the lock first, put on your tinfoil hat, and never EVER face south during the pairing, as the Astral Waves will not align. :wink:

3 Likes

3 of them here that have moved with me from my c5 to c7 to c8 without issue

1 Like

I got the Yale and it fits well on the door. It also looks good with the handle set. Anyway I got everything setup but my habitat timed out trying to connect. The lock thinks it’s connected though but it doesn’t show up in the device list on habitat. I’m going to try again tomorrow.

How did you determine that? I'm assuming it displayed whatever blinking/light changes are expected after a pairing, correct?

You could try shutting down the hub and unplugging it, wait a minute, plug in, and see if it comes up w/the lock showing on the hub. If not, reset and re-join the lock. Once it joins normally, check it's Device page to ensure the expected Current States and Preferences appear, and that you can control the lock from the Device page.

The reason I prefer Schlage locks to those by Yale and Kwikset is that the Schlage meets the standards for ANSI Grade 1 locks whereas the others are ANSI Grade 2. The grading has to do with the physical construction of the locks and how easy they are to defeat mechanically. The grading has nothing to do with the electronics of a Smartlock. A Grade 1 lock is a better built lock and will do a better job of protecting your home and your loved ones.

I believe it is worth the effort of getting the Schlage locks working is well worth the effort.

2 Likes

I have two of those same locks and no problems with them. The biggest thing is make sure you have a good zwave mesh and have a beaming repeater near the lock.

If I go into the Yale app and go to the Zwave accessory section it shows me it has been paired. The hub itself has no clue though. I'll mess around more with it tonight. Amazon showed up at 8:45 and I couldn't not install it. So I'll work on it again tonight when I have more time to debug. The lock is probably 20' feet away with no walls between so that might be part of the issue. I need to get a longer ethernet cord (we are still in unpacking mode in the new house) and move the hub next to the door. The house came with a bunch of smart stuff but it's all wifi so I'll be swapping out the switch at the front door with something that will connect to hubitat and hopefully that will be a good repeater for the door lock. That's what I had on my old house the Zwave switches in the walls with no repeaters and it was almost 4k sq ft and I had no issues. This house is 2.6k sq ft so I would expect less issues once I get some switches setup.

I have both yale and schlage z wave locks setup in my home. Both of them work identical in terms of performance and ease of setup.

I personally set my c8 into wifi connection mode, and use a portable power bank that is used to power up the c8 directly next to the locks. The whole pairing process is done about 2-3 inches away from the lock while it's installed at the door. Best advice is make sure you don't have any ghosts from a previous failed attempt and to make sure your in s2 pairing mode. I've had them connect within 1 or 2 attempts. Before I put the c8 hub back to it's LAN connection near the router, I make sure that I have a repeater in between the locks and the hub.

I haven't had any issues since pairing them. Battery life on both is about a year with lithium batteries. G'luck.

Thanks everyone. I got the Yale working well today. I have the C8 in the entryway right now by the lock until I get some more hard wire switches for the mesh. I’ll move it back to the router once I have those setup.

2 Likes

I switched to the Zigbee version after many disconnection. There is a separate discussion for the Schlage Zigbee Lock. FYI the Zigbee version is using a generic lock driver on the Hubitat platform.

Sorry, it's been a few really busy months. The link to my GitHub stuff is in the first post mentioned by the OP here.

I updated (majorly cleaned and optimized) the code, and need to check if I pushed those updates to GitHub, so give me a few days.