New to Hubitat

Hi guys brand new to Hubitat. I haven't even got the product yet. I was talking with a friend of mine and he said there was no way to do a routine with the Hubitat and the ring doorbell. So to start I had ST and I had routine/rule that if it was after a certain time at night if here was motion at my front door my porch light would come on and stay on. Then after 5 minutes it shut off. He's telling me that there is no way to do this type of action. But he's like me he just got his maybe a month or 2 ago. Any suggestions?

1 Like

Welcome to Hubitat!

This is the simplest and most reliable method of integrating a Ring Doorbell with Hubitat. Takes only a few minutes to set up.

Note: This will work even if you do not have an Amazon Echo device in your house. You simply need a free Amazon account and the Amazon Alexa App installed on your phone.

2 Likes

That was fast, you guys are awesome. I have already sent this to my friend so he can try. When mine gets here I will let you guys know if I'm successful. Thanks again

4 Likes

Welcome to the Hubitat Environment experience

As you transition, you will find several devices (especially IP-based) not yet officially supported. Some notes:

• List of official devices link: https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Compatible_Devices
  • Look for a previous model. The driver for that often works on the newer mode.
  • If a Zigbee / Z-wave device is not on this list, do not give up. Sort the list by Device Type. Then look for similar devices and see if they have "generic drivers". These often work.
  • Check the community for integrations of devices not covered by the first two. There are a lot of integration. Just type the device's manufacturer and name in the bar and look
  • If the device has a google or amazon integration, you can often create a work-around using virtual devices, Hubitat Rule Machine, Amazon routines....
  • Ask. No cost to ask the question and as they say the only dumb question is the question not asked.
3 Likes

You could use IFTTT and link that to HE. I've personally spun up a HA instance and am integrating that with HE. You could also use Alexa

I did not consider IFTTT since their new business model requires a subscription if you have more that three applets.

I'm at step 5. Now do I use simple automation rules for step 5 or rule machine?

In general I would advise the use of Simple Automation where possible, and then bring in RM or webCore when the logic gets a little more complex.

I got to rule 5 but now im lost. I need my ring to act like a sensor after midnight when I have the lights off and have my porch light turn on. Then turn back off after 5 min. im stuck

The Simple Lighting App sounds like a good fit for that one:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Hubitatยฎ_Simple_Lighting

1 Like

Thanks

Any advice for my go control garage door opener. I was able to open and close it with ST. With Hubitat it won't let me do anything. It has it listed as a contact sensor. When I click on it nothing happens. Thanks

Which opener? How did you tie that to Hubitat?

@Startrak140

Could you post a screenshot of the Device Details from the Hubitat device page for your GoControl GDO?

It sounds as if it did not pair securely. The device details will confirm that.

3 Likes

I'm at work right now. Am I still able to get that infor from the app?

If I am not able to get that information. Is it best I go home and exclude the garage again and include it to see if that works? It seemed like it paired fine. It's on my dashboard. I can see when it opens and closes but I can't open nor close it from the button

I paired it, it's z wave gocontrol/linear

1 Like

Sorry, missed that. It probably will be helpful to wait until you get home. Do like Aaiyar says, and post a screenshot of that page.

Will do, thanks

Unfortunately there is no more simple lighting app