New templates for Tunable White bulbs?

Hi,

New Hubitat user here. I've been setting up and experimenting with Hubitat and the Dashboards trying to get the feel for what it can do. It's a great system and I'm having fun (if not struggling sometimes) learning more about it. And, I have a request.

I have a number of Osram Tunable White A19 bulbs. To control the white level of the bulb I need to use the Color Bulb template in the Dashboard. But I think there would be some potential benefit to having separate Tunable White templates for this, Tunable White Bulb, and Color Temperature.

Tunable White bulb would still open settings like the color bulb, except all that would be in there would be 2 sliders, color temp and light level. Color Temperature template would just have the slider for the temp right on the tile, no need to open additional settings. In that case someone could have 2 tiles for the bulb, one as Bulb or Dimmer that would have the slider for level, and the Color Temp that would have a slider for the color temperature. No need to select the tile and use the popup, it would be visible and adjustable directly in the dashboard.

If I'm missing something obvious, or this just doesn't make sense chalk it up to being a little new here, but I hope others will find this useful, and it can be implemented sometime.

Thanks!

PS. There is something else that I noted that seems to be related to tunable white bulbs being grouped together with color bulbs. When creating some rules for these bulbs in addition to having a set of settings for the color temp there is another set for setting the overall device color. In the devices details the bulbs are recognized as Tunable White so I would guess that when setting up rules it would be possible to only offer settings for the bulbs capabilities. Not really an issue, but just something for the wish list.

8 Likes

I could use that too

5 Likes

I will third the request. The color bulb works but it would be nice to have a dedicated tunable white.

3 Likes

I agree. I have the sylvania + white tunable zigbee bulb and the compatability chart showed to use generic zigbee bulb, but that had no color temp features. So in Devices setting i found the Zigbee CT(dev) setting and that worked good. But as you have mentioned, in the dashboard there is no template for just color temp and brightness. That would be awesome to have added.

2 Likes

I am also a new user and just did a search on the forum regarding templates for tunable white bulbs. Could I also add to the request please.

5 Likes

I can add another thumbs up to the request of a Dashboard tunable white bulb :+1:

2 Likes

Another request for a tunable bulb template

1 Like

If anyone wants to make a makeshift Color Temperature tile ...

1. Create a virtual dimmer
  2. Create a new rule with variables (for target CT, and dimmer value):
    a. [Trigger: Virtual Dimmer level changes]
    b. [Action 1: [Variable Math: 2700+(38 * Dimmer Level)]
    c. [Action 2: [Set Color Temperature to result of previous action]

You can replace 2700 with whatever the low-end of your color temperature is, and replace 38 with the range of your color temperature divided by 100. (6500 - 2700 = 3800/100 = 38)

E.G - For Lightify bulbs:
e.g. 7000 - 1800 = 5200 = 52
The variable math would be: 1800 + (52 * Dimmer Level)

It's not perfect ... but it works

5 Likes

That is a freakin’ great idea and I’m going to try it. Thanks Adam!

2 Likes

I have exactly the same suggestion but would add that the range of color temperature allowed in the existing template is much wider than that supported by the bulb. This causes odd behavior like the slider snapping all the way to the left if you set a value too high, while the bulb is actually set to it's highest possible value. There needs to be a way to inform the dashboard of the available range of the bulb so it can be properly controlled.

1 Like

On SmartThings the CT was limited to 2700-6500K (I assume d/t something like this) which was horrible and one of the reasons me and my house full of Sylvania RGBWs moved to Hubitat. But anyway, it would be nice to have a CT bulb template, not that I really use the dashboard, but for people that do. It would seem likely that a particular bulb could change the parameters.

That's just the thing: All my bulbs (Osram/Sylvania tunable white) are limited to 2700-6500k. The wider range in the dashboard template does nothing to increase what the bulb is capable of. It just doesn't work properly outside the supported range. I want to reign in the dashboard to match the device. This worked properly on Wink, so I would like to think there is an attribute that can be read from the device. But it may have just been built in to their driver since it was Sylvania branded and such.

1 Like

They may have just done what SmartThings did and limited the CT range of all bulbs, no matter what was supported by the bulb. Is this behavior with the Generic zigbee ct (dev) driver. You could try the Sengled element plus driver and see if it still has the same behavior. It should work, it just might be no better.

Actually, I just tried this with a Lightify under cabinet CT light and the problem is that the bulb is setting itself higher than the slider value, that is why it snaps to the left. It is reporting 6536, and the slider only goes to 6500. If it was expanded to 7000K you would probably not have this issue. I noticed that setting the slider all the way to the left caused it to return to 2700K, which is correct since that is the limit of the bulb. Maybe @bravenel could expand the slider a little further to 7000K, or 7100K since my bulbs top out around 7042K

OSRAM bulbs are 1800-7000k. The strips are different, though.

My A19s go to 1500K and the strips go to 1600K on the Lightify gateway and HE. The only ones I have that only go to 1800K are the recessed HO RGBWs. This is one of my A19s:

And this is a regular recessed rgbw

Actually 1851K for the high output ones

Wish I could still find these, they are great in the kitchen.

1 Like

We're clearly using different bulbs. I have 2 of the A19 Tunable White 60s and 1 Smart+ 18" Adjustable White Under Cabinet Light. All are specified as 2700K-6500K. On a side note, why on Earth would you want an 1800K light? It'll just be a disgusting brown. 2700K to me is already far too low. I use a range of about 3200K for warm white to 5000K for daylight. Lower looks too brown, higher looks too blue to my eyes.

All of the Sylvania bulbs (color and tunable white) say 2700-6500k on the box, don’t know why. The lower CT range is great for bedtime and middle of the night lighting. I have 8 modes set up that change the CT of all of the lights throughout the day using color prestaging. Similar to circadian lighting, but a lot easier to change if a brighter light is needed In the evening, due to far fewer CT changes. So, in the morning the lights start out at 2600K, 4000K midmorning, 5000K at noon, then 4200K, 3300K, 2700K, 2400K, and 1500-2000K for late night lighting.

2 Likes

@Ken_Fraleigh and others ... I've quickly tossed an app together that will let you do exactly what I listed above :slight_smile: No need for variable math, and it's super lightweight.

In response to your 1800k option ... it's more red on my lights than anything (which is in line with our cinema-grade CT devices). It's really nice for nighttime lighting, I think. :slight_smile: But, not much use of that for me—I just assign everything to be 100% red at night.

3 Likes