New Schlage Connect Lock - Zigbee version

For those with a strong zigbee mesh or trying to avoid zwave (can't think of a reason why :wink: ), schlage and amazon have released a new version of this lock.

Schlage Connect Smart Deadbolt with Camelot trim in Satin Nickel, Zigbee Certified https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H3JBP4G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_iCS5BbXGPZ4ZQ

1 Like

I would have gravitated toward a lock like that myself. Not a fan of the issues Z-Wave can have. Would never have even considered the Z-Wave YRD256, and just really bought it with the intention that it would go back after I was finished testing. But we’re all hooked on this lock now. It’s a solid performer and I’m much happier with this lock than the August it replaced.

Sorry Steph, not trying to hijack your thread. Schlage is what I would have turned to with a lock that also has a keyhole, but now that it is generally more accepted that there won’t be one, I think our lock options are greatly improved.

How dare you! :rage:

This thread's only point is to inform about a new option. ...so nothing is off limits or hijackable.

Question about the Yale lock though...how would you open the door if the battery dies? That's the main reason I never considered a lock without a non motorized unlock option.

2 Likes

They have as others have added the option of holding up a 9 V battery to the bottom of the lock so you can open it.

But realistically I would just walk around to my back door and use the August lock

1 Like

All the keyless Locks have battery pins on the bottom edge. You can add an external battery that way.

However, the practicality of that is very questionable.

Where would you find a battery at 2am? After the one you kept in the car for just this reason was dead already too.

I'm with @SmartHomePrimer I'd use another door :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, Winter is mighty cold here. The dead battery and can’t get one at 2 AM scenario it’s very plausible. For that reason, I too would never put this type of lock on both doors.

Im also using a Yale YRD-256. I chose this lock because there are Youtube videos that show how to break into most of the keyed electronic locks, although I am sure any lock could be broken into. Seemed like the physical key was the weakest link. I keep a close eye on my battery levels so not to worried about it. If it does die for some reason, and it isn't convenient to grab a 9v battery from maybe the garage door opener in my car, I would just enter the house using another door. Maybe one of the Chamberlain MyQ garage doors.

Yes to all the above :slight_smile:

We need to plan ahead how we're going to make use of the "dead battery" feature. I haven't noticed any lock manufacturer neglect the feature, but I've seen one where a wad of AA batteries are in a battery holder with a short 6" wire with custom plug on the end. Yea, gonna be able to find that on the day the lock dies!!

Doesn't matter so much what the plan is.. just have one :D.

The truth of our North American locks is they're there to keep honest people out of our homes. It usually really hits home when you install these new locks, just how easy it is to throw some weight against it and break away the frame, or just break the glass that often exists right next to the lock and reach around.

Haven is probably one of the few options that most of us could do to keep the real bad guys out. It's too bad it only comes in Bluetooth. It would be a nice option to have a my YRD256 on top and this on the bottom, but not if I have to rely on Bluetooth alone to get into my house.

If you're concerned about personal harm when you're in the house, then the manual option is probably the best choice.

I believe in overkill. I have a Kwickset Zwave 916 (I think) with Keypad AND key. I keep a spare key in a lock box (analog with 4-digit combination) on the wall off to the side where it isn't too obvious. This way; I can use presence to unlock the door. If that fails; I can tap out a code; and when all else fails I have my key on my keychain. Should I lose my keychain I have the spare on the wall. I also keep a loose brick in the landscaping in case I feel like entering through a window, j/k. But as someone says below, locks in North America are just there to keep honest people honest. Bad Guys will bring their own brick, that's what the Break Glass detectors are for.

Mike

1 Like

Schlage just unveiled a low power wifi lock, and apparently according to their marketing, they were wasting everyones time and money with those Zigbee, Z-Wave, and Bluetooth locks they were selling. :wink:

1 Like

I'm only seeing 2 real benefits to this lock so far.

The size of the inside component is a lot smaller so it blends in better.
The fact that I would be able to control the lock from within the Ring app.

Other than that, I feel like I would be losing too many automation features for it to be worth while for my use cases.

But...options are ALWAYS good.

From the press released you linked to:

Schlage will have an immense presence at CES this year, as the brand is also announcing the Schlage Connect Smart Deadbolt with Z-Wave integration with the Ring Alarm system

What they didn't say but actually meant (I looked) is that they're releasing a new Z-Wave Plus lock (which of course they're doing since I just got two of their current "plain" Z-Wave models). In any case, never fear, they do not seem to be abandoning the "real" home automation market in favor of WiFi-only devices. :slight_smile:

(In related news, I've been trying to replace all of my powered devices with Z-Wave Plus, but the only benefit I can see from battery-powered devices is possibly longer battery life and better range, with little effect on the rest of my network...so that's what I'm going to keep telling myself so I don't feel the need to replace my new "plain" Z-Wave locks.)

2 Likes

Tongue in cheek comment of course. I just found it amusing they would use that comment to conclude their promotional video. I have not felt like my time or money was wasted by the Z-Wave module in my lock :rofl: And I have no envy of a WiFi lock when the Z-Wave plus lock I just installed is performing absolutely flawlessly.

Wait, what Z-Wave Plus lock did you get? And I'm totally with you. I have no desire to use their Wi-Fi lock, especially since the way they describe it, I imagine it only works through their "cloud" (and of course, they took a jab at hubs because...why, again? :slight_smile: ).

It was a Yale 256, not a Schlage.
I bought one as well when @SmartHomePrimer recommended it. Beautiful lock and connected to HE perfectly for me. Unfortunately the motor wasn't powerful enough to handle my slightly misaligned door frame. Ended up with another Sclage 469.

1 Like

Anyone have any feedback on the Schlage lock now that it's been out a while? I'm torn on the Zwave plus or Zigbee one. Have a chance at either one (and only those) so want to pick wisely, lol. I feel like given I'm in a smallish townhouse, it's not going to matter much.

just though of a plus for Zwave, it'll sit next to the Nest Hello... less interference potential?

The Zigbee version is an Amazon exclusive and I am hoping they drop the price for Prime Day. My first Schlage Zwave Lock has such an old firmware it needs replacing.

I installed a Zigbee Connect lock mid-March. Our (brick) house is not great for wireless devices, but never gave us trouble despite being in an attached outbuilding on a different level from HE. To be honest, I've read so many threads about problems with Zwave locks and either I'm just lucky, or Zigbee locks are just vastly more reliable.

That's the sense I'm getting. Also, I just came across zwave plus being almost useless unless everything is zwave plus? I'm still digging, but out of principle, that hurts. But I'm sorta afraid of the crowded 2.4ghz band.