New Rooms Feature Request

• How about renaming to "Groups" and/or allowing devices to exist in more than group/room. I have devices that exist in Rooms, but I would like to view together also.

• Add an option to Expand All/Collapse All Rooms.

Alan

All that is there. Devices can be in more than one if you go through the UI for rooms and if u click on the room they expand or compress.

We are aware of this need, and it may come in the future. But, rooms will remain as currently defined, with unique device association to a room. How many lights are in more than one room in your house? But, a 'view' of multiple devices that span rooms makes sense; just haven't got to that yet. We already have Groups, that associate multiple devices with a virtual device -- but this is not the same as what you are suggesting (if we understand your suggestion).

Coming in release today.

4 Likes

We are aware of this need, and it may come in the future. But, rooms will remain as currently defined, with unique device association to a room. How many lights are in more than one room in your house? But, a 'view' of multiple devices that span rooms makes sense; just haven't got to that yet. We already have Groups, that associate multiple devices with a virtual device -- but this is not the same as what you are suggesting (if we understand your suggestion).

You got the idea. Yeah, groups and what I'm looking for is different. Appreciate the consideration. It's not lights I want to relate but Kindles, camera power, etc. These items exist in my rooms, but are related togther so I want to view them together via the Rooms interface.

Coming in release today.

GREAT!

Alan

Three, actually. The pendant lights over the island that separates our kitchen and dining room in an open-plan space.

We’d like them to turn off/on when either the kitchen or dining room lights turn off/on. Alexa has been able to handle this for over a year.

LOL. Put them in two Groups. Or in two Motion Lighting rules. Or controlled by two buttons. Etc.

Rooms are not a control mechanism. Views, if we do them, may not be a control mechanism either. There are lots of control mechanisms in place.

I like the search function that comes with Rooms. In fact, I think I may create a room that would contain most, if not all, my devices just so I could find any one of them quickly!

Mike M.