New name for 2nd app instance?

I wrote an app, and have been happily running one instance of it. But when I decided to add a 2nd instance, they both had the same name in the Apps list. Is there a way to differentiate between them in the list without going down the parent/child app route?

Couldn't you load another instance of it under apps code and call it something else.

I could but that seems a bit clunky, and over time I might want a 3rd, 4th, and what if I want to edit the code? Are you saying there is no way? Ok where can I find an example of how to code for parent/child? I've been looking but can't see anything other than oblique references to the topic.

I think the MakerAPI and the Homebridge app ([RELEASE] Homebridge Hubitat v2.0) let you do that, so you may want to look there.

1 Like

I just found this thread: How to run multiple instances of an App (specifically One to Many Switching by Cobra) but the "assign a name" option doesn't seem to exist any more

Here an an excerpt from an App that allows the user to optionally assign a name to the app. Specifically, look at the “section("App Name")”

preferences
{
    page(name: "mainPage1")
    page(name: "mainPage2")
}
​
def mainPage1()
{
    dynamicPage(name: "mainPage1", title: "", install: false, uninstall: true)
    {
        section("Home Assistant Device Bridge")
        {
            input ("ip", "text", title: "Home Assistant IP Address", description: "HomeAssistant IP Address", required: true)
            input ("port", "text", title: "Home Assistant Port", description: "HomeAssistant Port Number", required: true, defaultValue: "8123")
            input ("token", "text", title: "Home Assistant Long Term Access Token", description: "HomeAssistant Access Token", required: true)
            input name: "enableLogging", type: "bool", title: "Enable debug logging?", defaultValue: false, required: true
        }
        section("Please note, it may take some time to retrieve all entities from Home Assistant.")
        {
            href(page: "mainPage2", title: "<b>Discover and select devices</b>", description: "Query Home Assistant for all currently configured devices.  Please select which entities to Import to Hubitat.", params: [runDiscovery : true])
        }
        section("App Name") {
            label title: "Optionally assign a custom name for this app", required: false
        }        
    }
}
​
def mainPage2(params)
{

’’’
3 Likes

Ah! I shall go and try that and if it works I'll come back and mark your post as solution :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks ogiewon! So simple and clean :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Glad that it’s working for you!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.