New Model C-7 Hub Coming Soon

This is correct. During inclusion the encryption is determined and keys are exchanged. To move from S0 to S2 will require an exclude/include dance.

[EDIT]: I just had a thought that it technically "might" be possible... let me ping someone to double validate.

[EDIT]: Message sent. I'll have a definitive answer when they get back to me.

[EDIT]: I see @mike.maxwell has confirmed this already.

3 Likes

as it's "hubitat_com" and not "hubitat_org" - I will guarantee you that customer retention and satisfaction is very important, but growth (new users) is always job #1.

I'm still waiting for my first HE hub, but wouldn't be here if my ST hub hadn't died. I would have tolerated mediocrity until a migration tool from ST to HE was available.

If I were in leadership at Hubitat, I'd be working double time to get a Wink-to-HE migration tool out the door ASAP to pull in their displaced community, followed by chipping away at ST migration simplicity.

5 Likes

Well... I would say that profit is job #1 (at least at some point, unless you are a startup and just trying to spin yourself off). :slight_smile:

That can come through growth (and usually does), but also can come from other places.

3 Likes

Will new hub fix issues with Schlage locks?

2 Likes

Any chance of the new software platform to support sensors on Google Home? Since Google Home announced support for sensor devices on March 10, 2020.

https: //developers.google.com/assistant/smarthome/guides/sensor

1 Like

This is currently possible with the community integration: [Alpha] Community-maintained Google Home integration if you don't want to wait.

1 Like

Hopefully the new hub has a new power connector other than micro usb. It maybe a good option to power devices but in my experience micro usb has been the worst with port wearing out.

2 Likes

Yes, this is not a great connector. Solution is: don't unplug the connector, only the other end.

C-7 has the same power connector. We have looked at other alternatives, and may move to a different one in the future.

5 Likes

Some time ago when I started paying with my (then) new RasPi which is powered by the same micro USB connector. I repeatedly had reboot issues. I tried maybe 5 different cables (all brand new) and found one that supplied reliable power. Testing some of the "failed" cables with an oscilloscope I found with even the slightest movement power would "glitch" off. I guess it was find charging a phone but not so good when you need steady power.

It would be interesting to find out if the USB-C connector pairs are any better. Supposedly they can supply higher current.

1 Like

Yeah if it was power only than you could easily move to a type c connector without any additional circuitry. But since you support USB 2.0 OTG you would need to handle the plug rotation, so you can’t do it with out a redesign.

Edit. Actually no I take that back. USB 2.0 signals just get bridged so no extra logic required. Only the super speed signals need the steering switch.

1 Like

Personally, I would love to see PoE support, however I realize that isn't likely to happen. There likely isn't the demand to justify the added cost. If they ever decide to do a limited "pro" run that would be a nice option.

7 Likes

I have been using the following POE splitter for months now without any issues for my two Hubitat hubs....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CNKX14C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

9 Likes

@bravenel commented recently (again) on the likelihood of this happening (spoiler alert: it likely will not happen).

Hubitat vs Node-RED response time - #28 by bravenel

1 Like

Yes, I would like to know this too. It has been my biggest disappointment moving from Smartthings to HE. I like the HE platform, but after the work involved in moving devices, and converting rules from WebCore to RM, I had to accept less security on my locks since ST was rock stable and HE is not.

LJ

I'm waiting for the new HE hub to be available for switching over from Smartthings. So, are there issues with the Schlage locks working with HE? I have a Schlage Connect lock and I sure don't want to have issues with the switchover!

I don't have any locks but another option could be to leave the lock on ST and use HubConnect to connect the HE and ST hubs together. You can then control the lock, (or whatever it is you want to do with it), from HE.
Just something to consider

1 Like

The most interesting to me is that the C-7 Hub now has the CE marking, which is the basic requirement to sell it inside EU. I'm guessing this means that we'll finally get to see Hubitat being sold over here?

@cohoman
This might help clear up a few things about getting a good connection between your Schlage Connect lock and Hubitat hub.

1 Like

Don't let me discourage you from Hubitat. I like it and it has many advantages. The debate about the schlage locks is in many places here on the community. It is hotly contested with some blaming the locks and some balming the HE. The official response from hubitat is that other platforms have done workarounds on an issue with these locks to get them to be reliable which hubitat doesn't believe is correct. Read the thread for more information:

LJ

1 Like

This is not our "official response" at all.

A number of users were having trouble with Schlage locks. We have been unable to replicate these problems in our own testing. We were faced with a dilemma where we had the locks on our list of compatible products, yet a significant number of users had problems. We removed it from the list for this reason.

We have not had the opportunity yet to retest these locks with a C-7 hub.

2 Likes