New method to open / close Chamberlain MyQ garage door

@aaiyar Thank you!

1 Like

Another newbie question (I found this community because of the MyQ debacle.) Beside keeping things local (and not in the cloud) what do persons find is the biggest advantage of using the HE? (For instance, the use of MyQ Lite or SimpleCommands or IFTTT or even Siri Shortcuts work well albeit they are not local. But on Amazon, the HE is now $140. Seems like a pricey addition.)

Cheaper just to order it direct from Hubitat ... but you might want to split your question off onto its own thread so that this one stays on topic.

2 Likes

Local control is the biggest win - it gives better consistency and faster responsiveness. Cloud stuff generally works great until it suddenly doesn't... Sometimes it's just an annoying temporary server outage, but sometimes it's a major break like a key service feature (e.g. API) that's discontinued with no warning.

Local control isn't always perfect or error-free either, but the amount of things that can go wrong definitely goes down a lot with local control.

2 Likes

Good point. I apologize.

1 Like

No need to apologize, we're all guilty of it at some point (I'm usually the guilty party :crazy_face:)

1 Like

@thebearmay I appreciate the pass. Nonetheless, you're right and I did start a new thread.

1 Like

Been attempting to get this working again without success now that the MyQ app is currently failing.

The Simple Commands open and close door commands work, however after clicking on webhooks, the open and close commands don't work from a browser or RM5 using Get or Post.

Anyone have this working?

My Door Open command
https://api.kloee.com/api/webhooks/xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx?commandverb=open

Results when entered from browser
{"sessionId":"xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx","requestId":"xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx","responseText":"Not possible to execute the command requested.","responseCode":"SESSION_CONNECTOR_COMMAND_ERROR","followUpExpected":false,"sessionComplete":true,"json":null}

Also sent help request to Simple Commands

I gave up on this method to open my garage door. The MyQ code kept changing. I went with a Zooz relay. Works 100% of the time.

For right now, this would be my end all be-all decision maker: With MyQ having changed the API to use Oauth 2 + PKCE, will the HE STILL control the MyQ or would I have to wait until MyQ Lite is updated for that?

This.

I am not a coder, but I expect that this will require an extensive rewrite of things. And the current maintainer/author of the app has indicated he is extremely busy right now, so it may be some time before this rewrite happens.

So if you are patient enough to wait (weeks? months?) for someone to fix the app, fine. Otherwise, I advise finding an alternative way to control the door if that is important to you.

2 Likes

@neonturbo, This actually speaks to my concern. The MyQ API has broken for times in the last two years. So, the HE is dependent on that for this. It took SimpleCommands seven weeks to get their link to MyQ working again.

@arnb same. I could not use the WebHook from within Siri Shortcuts to work, so it's not just you. I'll bet it has something to do with MyQ using Oauth 2 + PKCE now. (Think about how with a Gmail account, it has to go through a web browser to authorize. This is how I understand the MyQ authorization.) Somehow, SimpleCommands was able to do that in their All Items linkage, but it doesn't appear to work with a webhook.

1 Like

Saw today that someone had published a Node-Red npm for MyQ in the last few days. Haven't had a chance to validate it yet, but if someone wants to look at it:

1 Like

Hubitat has alternative ways to control the door, if you invest in a z-wave/zigbee relay and a contact/tilt sensor.

1 Like

I did. Cannot get it to work.

1 Like

My Plan B: A three button auto sun visor controller mounted in a closet near the garage and HE dashboard device. Works 99.9999% of the time when the dashboard Garage Door MyQ button fails. No soldering, no wifi, no zigbee, no zwave, no Oauth :grinning:

Cobbled together a temporary “solution” using HomeBridge, Node-Red and HE. Not beautiful but buys me some time to decide how I want to proceed.

Where did you get the url to open/close the door?

Im trying to add a softtrigger button on my camera that will be able to open my garage door via a HTTP request. Im using DW spectrum (rebranded NXwitness) I saw someone do this with a light so there's got to be a way to get this working. I would need the url and the HTTP content. Using a Chamberlin MyQ. does anyone know what the request IP or command is to open/close the door using this method?

This isnt necessarily for hubitat or home assitant but once i can locate the request url i think that will open up some doors. Pun Intended :slight_smile:

@thebearmay ... just read this post today. I have successfully setup Node-Red with this node to obtain info on my MyQ devices (garage door and gate).

1 Like