New / Late to the Light Bulb Zigbee thing - Suggestions >?

What's the cheapest single color / soft white / yellow bulb that works fine with hubitat ?
I've read through a bunch of the posts, and I can't really figure out which ones do and don't work natively. do not need the colors or anything. I just want them to work And I prefer ZigBee.
They all seem really expensive. especially for the color changing ones, which I don't need.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Well .. I did some more looking found this ... $9.00
Apparently they use : Generic Zigbee CT Bulb - Thoughts ?

If you already have a strong Zigbee mesh network, you could just grab some Sengled Zigbee bulbs. Sengled Zigbee bulbs are NOT Zigbee repeaters by design. Thus, if they get turned off accidentally, they will not screw up your Zigbee mesh network.

https://www.amazon.com/Sengled-Google-Required-Dimmable-Equivalent/dp/B089DD7YF6

I personally use Philips Hue bulbs, attached to a Philips Hue bridge. They have been extremely reliable. They are definitely more expensive, but they have been trouble-free and the Hue bridge allows them to work with Hubitat, Home Assistant, Node-RED, Logitech Harmony Hub, SmartThings, Alexa, Google, and Apple Home. I believe the Hue bridge now even acts as a Matter Bridge, allowing its Zigbee devices to be brought into a Matter Controller. (Note: The Matter Controller must have support for Matter Bridge devices. Not all do!)

4 Likes

The biggest issue that some have with zigbee bulbs is that some of them don't play nice with the mesh. Many choose non-repeating bulbs for this reason...Sengled being one popular and typically lower-cost option. I have several that seem to be acceptable. They sell direct from their web store and on Amazon.

Ikea products are typically good quality as well. I do have one of these also and haven't had any issues with it or my mesh. It does appear to be able to repeat but no devices are routing through it...but I'm no expert on mesh performance.

Another option would be local-control WiFi...LiFX is one option.

1 Like

Thanks .. I dint know the ikea had a repeater in them ..
I guess I would like them not to have that option .. I will try the [Sengled] Ones.
What driver do they use ?

1 Like

I would try one of the two circled below. They are both built into the HE Hub. My preference, when I used Sengled, was for the 'Legacy' driver.

You could also try the "Generic Zigbee Bulb" built-in driver if neither of the two above suit your needs.

2 Likes

There are also built in "Advanced Zigbee [CT/RGB/RGBW] Bulb" drivers that should work and may offer a different command set or features like pre-staging.

1 Like

Just need them to turn on off and dim LOL ( for a bed room )
Don't need anything too fancy. I will give the [Sengled] one a try.. Thanks guys !

1 Like

I have a couple of the Sengled bulbs and use the Advanced Zigbee driver for them. I do this for 2 reasons: 1- the Advanced Zigbee drivers have less overhead than the other ones and the bulbs respond noticeably faster to commands. 2- I found that the Sengled driver would allow dimming all the way to off, which is very annoying if you use button controllers to dim the bulbs. I did have to change the parameters for the preferences to different values in order to get the lights to work properly with the Advanced driver, but no issues since. It didn’t seem to matter what the values were, as long as it was different than the default, after that I could change it to whatever I wanted it to be.

1 Like

sengled classic