New kind of raid

Learned something new. Using new hard drives in my qnap nas 6 bay. Decided to re-image and use raid 50 instead of raid 5 with hot spare or raid 6 . The tech appears relatively new!

Good deal right now on seagate ironwolf pro 16tb drives with 5 yr warranty right now $269 bh photo, adorama, amazon or newegg... just make sure to check warranty to make sure they did not try to sneak in oem drives.

Anyone want a deal in the removed working ironwolf 8tb drives.

1 Like

I believe RAID 50 is an example of nested RAID. Not a new thing, AFAIK.

Article available here.

3 Likes

Interesting there is no raid 51 with 2 3 disk raid 5 partitions mirrored. You would loose lots of size but could have like 4 out of 6 disks fail and not looose any data. Guess the storage penalty is the reason?

I see it is defined but i have never seen anything supporting it.

Same with raid 50 qnap only recently started supporting it.

I’ve used RAID 10 before, combines the performance boost of striping with a mirror of each striped set to protect against drive failure.

But there’s a big penalty in terms of available space, since half of the array is mirrored.

Seems there’s always some kind of tradeoff with any RAID strategy.

I bought my first 4 bay Qnap 18 or so years ago used Raid 1. In 2014 I bought a TS-451 and also used Raid 1. I chose Raid 1 because I wanted redundant drives where I have 2 two drive groups in case one failed I had a backup. Plus it was convenient when I wanted to upgrade my drives I just popped one out and put the new one in and it rebuilt itself.

Given its age I really want to replace it but see that Qnap hasn't released an Intel based NAS in 2 years and hoping they release a new one this year that allows RAM upgrades.

What is the recommended Raid configuration these days? I am not well versed on hardware so curious what to do with my new NAS.

i got a ts-464 last year. (for my mich location) and i was able to upgrade the ram.. that is the qnap i would recommend or the 664 for home use.. busin. is different the h874 would be the one there with intel i9.. but very pricy. the ts-464 has built in 2.5gbe which is nice these days. my other nas's i had to upgrade to 10gb

i think all the new 464s now allow ram upgrades.. the other nice thing about it is the built in ssd slots so you dont have to add a card.

that one i still just use raid 5 or 6 if worried on my 4 bay nas.. i only used the raid 50 recently on the 6 bay as i upgraded the drives and it is still resyncing with another day to go but it will have a 52tb data volume with 6 16tb drives in raid 50..

raid 10 would be the level similar to your raid 1 with 4 drives but just as raid 1 you will loose half your storage space..

1 Like

How many you have?

5 for sale
1 have a sixth i can throw in if you apsolutely need but was saving one as i have some 8tb in tr-004 units.. but i also have some 10tbs i can use instead with wasted space if needed.

all but one are out of warranty.. i checked each serial.