New Inovelli switch

Strange, I am on those lists and haven't seen any of these?? I will say though, the Inovelli team has been VERY good at responding to email inquiries. As well, they are very active on their community board. I think they catch the majority of their grief by announcing dates and missing... Definitely a hard road to travel.

2 Likes

Hey, I've had a part in this too! No company should issue deadlines that they are not 100% sure they can fulfill. Claiming that other companies do the same thing, should never be justification for bad business practices, acceptance of it only enables bad business practices to continue.

1 Like

Speaking of, I caught this exuberant review of their Red Line On/Off Switch on YouTube: YouTube

@agnes.zooz @Eric_Inovelli @ericm

I'm curious what both of you think about Z-wave 700. How much advantage do you see over your current offerings? Any production roadmap you'd be willing to share.

Literally just learned about Hubitat, Zooz, Inovelli and Z-Wave today as I was doing some research into Lutron Caseta and have totally switched gears for how I plan to wire my place that is currently being framed. Expecting to start electrical in January. So appreciate any recommendations!

Are you thinking of moving away from Lutron Caseta? Or am I misconstruing your statement?

We've had a couple of lively threads here in the last 6 weeks or so with people building new and discussing options - you might search . . . If I stumble over them I will post them to you.

I have nothing... starting from a blank slate. Open to most any relatively budget conscious options.

Lutron Caseta was potential direction I was going to go after stoping by the local lighting store.

I think Lutron Caseta is a solid option. You can see where I started down that path here: "Best" Lighting Solution, there were a few twists and turns along the way, perhaps most notably I got over my aversion to Decora style wall plates.

This week I placed an order that will allow me to install Caseta Dimmers and Switches in the last room in this house - all the other lighting controls have been replaced with Caseta since I posted that thread and the discussion that followed.

So far my experience has been as several told me - "It just works". It's easy to setup and it works. My wife loves the appearance so it was a winner there. It integrates very nicely with Hubitat. While integrated with Hubitat, it is a stand-alone system that could be completely severed from Hubitat if necessary. If anything happens to me, my electrician knows how to support it.

Anyway, that's why I asked!

Using LED puck down lighting throughout the house all on dimmer switches gets expensive with Lutron Caseta PD-5NE - the ELV $100 switch.

So when I learned about the Inovelli Z-Wave Smart Dimmer at $39, my only question is if they are ELV or TRIAC compatible.

"It just works" also ringed true by this reviewer - DIY Smart Home Guy

If expense is your driving factor . . .

You have to be careful about the amount of watts your track lighting will pull especially if you are not using a neutral wire. It has to trickle some energy through to be able to power itself and this is enough to prevent some lights from turning off.

To get around this if you have a problem they also sell a bypass that you may need. My neighbour is having this issue now and may need the bypass even though the neutral is connected.

I’ve seen this same issue with other brands as well. I really like the inovelli stuff though. Lots of features and very powerful.

1 Like

thanks!

I figured I'd have all the switches neutral wired as well as all puck lights - WAC Lighting Lotos » Lotos

Z-Wave 700 will be great once hubs catch up and are able to take advantage of some of the features built into the 700 devices. I'm not sure if there are any out there but I know Aeotec showed a few 700 products during CEDIA and we'll probably start seeing more coming in 2020. We hope to release at least a couple of 700 series products in 2020 but I don't have any details to share right now unfortunately. Without a 700 series hub, the benefits of such device are limited since you won't be able to take advantage of SmartStart for example (the only system I know of that supports it today is Ring).
You'll get more range and as long as the hub supports network-wide-inclusion that will make adding these devices easier. Because they have better range, they rely on fewer "hops" to the hub and therefore consume less energy so it will be a big difference for battery-powered devices. Z-Wave promises 10-year battery life on a coin cell for a simple door sensor for example. We're yet to see how this actually works, especially that batteries tend to deplete on their own within a few years of shelf life anyway.

Our ZEN27 dimmer is a mosfet trailing edge dimmer while our ZEN22 dimmer is a TRIAC leading edge dimmer so depending on the type of lights you have, you should be able to find a good fit between the two.

Exciting news about your new home! Good luck with the project and feel free to reach out to our support with product specific questions anytime.

3 Likes

What she said. :slight_smile:

Just to add to that great response, our future product line is definitely geared towards the 700 series, but with any new technology, there are some risks to jumping in. So we have taken a more conservative approach.

For example, we knew the 700 series would be launched around the time of our switch launches, and had to make the decision of which one to go with. Ultimately we decided that with the brand new technology, it would be better to see how it fairs out in the market for a few months before committing to it. I'm not sure of any devices on the market supporting it, but even with developers working behind the scenes creating 700 series products, I'm sure there is feedback being provided to the z-wave alliance and the new series is being refined as time goes on. This will ultimately lead to a more stable solution when we do finally release 700 series products.

To give you a general idea, we plan on releasing some 700 series products this year.

1 Like

Jason, I have a question for you! I like the GE/Jasco switches as well. I’m in a situation where I really want a dimmer switch for a room and there is no reasonable way to get a neutral to the box. I’m looking at the 14299 dimmer switch, but that isn’t on the HE compatibility list. Do you know if it will work with HE?

Interesting. I've never seen/used a 14299. Looking at the details I strongly suspect it will work fine with Hubitat with the built-in or user drivers.

But since I don't have one, I obviously can't guarantee it.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I’m considering trying it. The 14294 is listed as supported, so I’m hoping it will fall in. I’m so disappointed that I can’t get a neutral in that spot. I’m a little blown away by how it was wired, but this is an older house.