New Inovelli switch

LOL. Sorry, I am a GE/Jasco guy. Have 70+ of them running right now. I hated the feel of the Zooz, and Inovelli were never in stock. Didn't want to go to something more specialized like Homeseer or Caseta.

1 Like

The new switches look great based on the renderings. I love the concept of having an integrated LED that is controllable for notifications and such.

@stephack the lack of neutral turns my head the other way! :stuck_out_tongue:

Like @jeubanks I've had issues with LEDs on switches without neutrals. I had a stock-pile of incandescent bulbs at the old house just for that reason! We recently built a new home and I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to do for switches - all the lighting is LED in the new home and I don't want to deal with flickering!

I had started swapping out to GE switches in the old house and they look fine and worked well... the style of the Innovelli's has me tempted, but the lack of neutrals and wait until May has me thinking again! :smiley:

1 Like

That assumes they are actually available to everyone in May, and not just 'shipping in limited quantities' or only shipping the pre-orders in May - which is what I fear will happen.

Sorry to be pessimistic, but let's be realistic - they have had a shit record of shipping dates and shipping quantity in the past.

Hahah, I hear ya, we all have our preferences. I hated to dive into the Caseta world too but I rarely hear problems and often read good things with their local hub....and I'd rather not have yet another hub...But I'm sort of stuck at this point and I really don't want to keeping switching out switches so I'd like to put something in that I'm going to keep for a long time.

I also am rather fond of the Leviton z-wave plus wall devices. At least they have dim levels you can adjust programatically (on the dimmers obviously).

You can actually always use 2 smart switches in a 3-way, turning one of them into a virtual add-on switch, which is not the same as having a wired add-on like GE/Jasco. It's just a matter of how you'll wire and program them.

Same goes for controlling smart bulbs with smart switches, you don't need a firmware feature to "disable the relay" to always feed power to the bulb from the smart switch, you can just connect the load to line and program everything else via Z-Wave. But we're all looking for creative ways to sell things :wink:

Any news on these new switches? @ericm, are you still on track for a May 15 release?

1 Like

Hi @spalexander68, everyone is working hard on getting this project ready for May 15. I don't have any news specifically except that things are progressing. I will talk to the team about creating an update page on our website that people can refer to.

2 Likes

Thanks. I did notice you put up a video on the prototype 3D design.

1 Like

So as I understand from reading their website -

If I use a neutral wire I can run a single Zwave switch and leave a dumb switch at the other end,

I could afford to do my whole house if i were to sell off my insteon gear.,

Likely you would connect the two neutrals from the line and from the fixture together. That is the way it is done with a standard light switch in my house.

Love that is neutral optional, that is great!

Is that in fact a confimed feature of the new inovelli switches? To be able to disable the paddle to load, to use with smart bulbs?
Tagging @ericm

Thanks Guys

Until a product is material there are no confirmed facts about anything. The discussion points at the time and I think still are based on published marketing material.

1 Like

Yup. On this topic I don't trust what anyone says on the matter at this point (not that I think Eric is anything but forthright). Until there are commercial products in consumers hands, all else is speculation/promises/wishes.

I hope all will be revealed before too long, though.

I see the dimmers have a release date of June 28 now (2 weeks from tomorrow). Can't wait for the first people to get the product in hand and review it.

They look great, and the price is killer.

Still wish they would come out with a model with built-in motion sensing (like the Jasco/GE model). Would love to see a competitor to that product line.

Actually, it is July 28 now. They ran into an issue that was rectified, but delayed them just a bit.

Lame. If that's correct they need to update their web page then. The dimmers all say June 28. @ericm ....

I just re-read the email. Not July 28 but July 18. Sorry about that.

That makes, what, 4 delays?

I'll fall back to my 'I'll believe it when it is in people's hands' position I guess.

Have they commented on quantity available July 18? Or is it going to be one of those - sold out due to pre-orders, and we get more stock in 4 months?