New Hue button, strange behavior

I have been playing with the Hue button. I have it installed as a Philips Button Controller.
What seems to be consistent:
1] Each push results in alternating button 1 press event and button 4 press event.
2] When there has been a button 1 press event, the button hold events are:
a] Hold button for 3 seconds, then button 3 held event. Releasing the button causes a button 3 release.
b] Hold button again for 3 seconds. Button 2 held event. Releasing the button causes a button 2 release.
c] Repeating alternates between button 2 and button 3 events unless you wait 5 seconds between hold actions then events always start with button 3 regardless what the previous hold event was.
This is not the behavior you will see in the button is in the off state (last push was button 4 pressed event).
Confused yet?
It gets worse when you hold the button .75 second and less than 3 seconds. Holding for 2 second has another set of events, again different events depending on the on / off state. Holding for 1 second is different again. The problem is that you can't precisely hold the button the correct amount of time. This results in a mixture of 1 second and 2 second events. Some of these events can include a button 4 press event which will change held event behavior.
My head is about to explode. Please someone embarrass me and tell me I have it all wrong

That driver is for the dimmer switch. There is no driver....yet. See this post.

Some have it working though.

Yeah, their implementation is a bit bizarre, platform 2.1.7 includes a dedicated driver for this device that sorts some of these issues.
The button just isn't going to work with the dimmer driver.

Under what name you find the driver?

it's in the 2.1.7 release notes, also the device will select this driver when joined to the hub, this must be done anyway for the device to setup correctly.

here is the Hue Button dismantled, so thoughts are to integrate nto a retractive wall switc, shouldnt be too difficult.

What is a reactive wall switch?

Retractive, basically a push switch

Oh...you mean momentary....gotcha. Reactive means it reacts. All switches are reactive.

That's why its retractive not reactive :slight_smile: basically a bell push switch. I was disappointed with the base plate as it is to small to cover a standard wall light switch here in the UK

In the US what you are describing is called a "momentary switch". I've never heard the term "reactive switch" before.

not reactive.

1 Like

Retractive?!? Even stranger.. and no, never heard of those switches either.

Googled....not one picture of a switch that would fit in a US box....definitely a UK thing.

Retractive is a word. You edited your original comment before I could paste this.

I debated ignoring you but I guess now is the time to do just that.

After being flagged I Increased IGNORE to the maximum of four months!

Didn't know retractive would be such a reactive subject :slight_smile: Here are pictures of the button wired into a UK retractive switch, in total comes to ยฃ20.00

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.