New Hubitat owner in AU

Thanks for the welcome and the very generous offer! I am located in Melbourne, but you should save your devices for other new Hubitat owners -- as I'm migrating from SmartThings I have quite a good set of devices already so no need for more at this stage. Thanks so much anyway.

Not a problem

One question though - which Aussie store did you buy your xBee components from? Would be good to get a list of what you got and from where :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi chillibenny,

Are you still getting rid of these repeaters?

I'm in Perth, near Freo and a Hubitat noob awaiting my hub.
Looking to build a ZigBee mesh to complement my Unifi wifi coverage.
Let me know! Cheers :slight_smile:

Hi Adam,
I got my HE recently. And i have couple of LIFX bulbs in my house. Could you please let me know the process to connect the LIFX bulbs from the HE as per my understanding LIFX bulbs are Wi-Fi. Heard that there is a separate process to connect with HE.

Welcome to HE.
I did a quick search for LIFX and found this link. LIFX Local Control

I just migrated most of my smart devices from SmartThings to Hubitat. Still WIP so far.

For the light switch, there 're several options that I came across.
(1) Zemismart New Design Zigbee 3.0 Push Light Switch - 1 gang, 2 gangs and 3 gangs. I haven;t tried them yet but it is an alternative to the touch swtich.
(2) SONOFF ZBMINI Zigbee Two Way Smart Switch - I just ordered them before Christmas. Still waiting for them to arrive. You can keep your existing switches.
(3) Another option is to use a Z-Wave switches like the NEO COOLCAM Smart Home Z wave Plus Wall Light Switch. It is still a touch switch though.

Cheers

What did you end up using to build your zigbee mesh?

I'm interested to replace the dumb rocker switch with a ZigBee one, is this a similar model that you were referring before @welby1978 ? NUE Smart Zigbee Gadgets | Wall Mount Light Dimmer Switch | Light Dimmer

Also, I suspect it is an acceptable model when you contact the sparky to install it?

Thanks

Yep these are the one's i use, there is a certificate of compliance floating around for use in australia aswell. I'm an electrician and install them myself but they shouldn't be a problem unless you don't have a neutral at the switch. It can be done easy enough but you will need to allow for a bit more for labour as the sparky needs to run a neutral down from the roof.

That's handy being an electrician, are you in Melbourne? Perhaps I could hire you :blush:

The house is reasonable new (late 2016), I would imagine neutral cable exists there, would it be a problem installing non neutral light switch?

Newcastle sorry lol, all depends on how the sparky wires houses either loop at the light and the neutral is in the roof or loop at the switch and the neutrals are at the switch. It's no big problem but the NUE gear needs the neutral to work.

1 Like

ikuu zigbee switches dont need a neutral - perhaps check them out

Are you meaning these ‘mechs ??
Mech.

I wonder if these control a load directly or just act as a mains powered Zigbee button ?
I’m guessing they just act as a button but still kinda cool.

Has anyone got these ‘mechs’ up and running in you mesh ??

hi there @njanda that looks the same - on the outside.
these are a mercator ikuu product:
https://www.ikuu.com.au/product/switch-mechanism/
haven't got one running in my mesh yet, but i have most of the zigbee product range on order for testing & driver development..so hopefully we can finally have an affordable "go-to" range designed and tested for the Ostraylya market...

2 Likes

With the demise of Samsungs low cost range of sensors, this is great news and the ikuu goes even further.

1 Like

hi nic, just wanted to mention if you're not aware that aeotec have purchased and are now supplying the full range of samsung sensors (which i have and still use)
https://www.aeotec.com.au/all-products/smartthings.html

1 Like

Thx.
I knew they’d picked up the product range but didn’t know they’re now available, although most seem to be “out of stock”.
:thinking:

yeah i don't care about the hub, but i really like their buttons, door/window & motion sensors. reliable, great battery life, look good.
the smartplug is a little bulky, on a double GPO it tends to block access to the other outlet, otherwise it would be a good zigbee repeater for certain situations.
dunno about you, but i find smart plugs are useless for 99% of applications, because any appliance worth using needs a button or two pressed after being powered up to make it do its thing - only exceptions being maybe floor lamps (or perhaps portable heaters which are inefficient so you want to avoid using them in the first place).

1 Like

This is what I mostly bought them for, as a Zigbee repeater, and yes, it is bulky. For that I have recently purchased the slim kasa smart plugs in the last few days, much better fit for double GPO. Can also use them locally over wifi with the Community driver

You are mostly right, the uses can be limited. A couple I have used, that rely on energy monitoring:

• While Outlet X is using power, keep the lights on, i.e. disabling motion lighting rule
  • Washing machine monitoring and notifications

On/off type rules can be limited, but some can include turning on a dehumidifier that supports resuming a previous state, ensuring an iron is switched off.

Not a strong case, but some...

1 Like