New Hubitat C7 Z-wave fails inclusion and exclusion

Just opened the box on a C7 but I'm struggling to get it to pair a Zooz ZSE44 Humidity sensor and ZEN34 remote switch. These are my first devices, so unfortunately, I don't have anything else to test with. This is my first time attempting to use Z-Wave, also.

Platform version: 2.3.4.134
Hardware version: Rev C-7
Diagnostics tool version: 1.0.97

What happens:
When I try Inclusion, the counter just counts down. The ZEN34 will flash red at the end to indicate that pairing failed. When I try Exclusion, similarly, the counter just counts down, and nothing is detected for exclusion.

What I've tried:

• Doing an Exclusion before an Inclusion, from Add Devices and from Z-Wave Details. Nothing is detected in either case.
  • Getting closer to the Hubitat
  • Rebooting the Hubitat
  • Rolling back the Hubitat to 2.3.2.141
  • Doing a Soft-Reset on the Hubitat
  • Z-Wave Firmware Update gets stuck at "Z-Wave Updater: Getting Device Versions"
  • Shutting down the Hubitat, waiting for it to give the "OK to remove power" message, disconnecting power, waiting 20 mins, then powering it back up.
  • Repeating Exclusion/Inclusion afterward
  • Factory Reset on both Zooz devices
  • Z-Wave Repair, it gets stuck at "refreshing node states"
  • Reset Z-Wave Radio, it gave " Failed to reset Z-Wave network”

Other things worth knowing:

• The Location logs do show "Z-Wave is unresponsive" and "zwaveCrashed".
  • There's nothing in Z-Wave Details.
  • It takes a looooonggg time to even load Z-Wave Details.
  • There's nothing in Z-Wave Logs

Screenshots:

1 Like

Looks like it has a Firmware Update showing you might try that and then try again.

Factory reset the device and see if that works.

Looks like it has a Firmware Update showing you might try that and then try again.

How can you tell a firmware update is showing? When I go to Settings > Check for Updates, it says no updates are available:

hubitat-update

If I go to Z-Wave Details > Firmware Update, it just hangs at Z-Wave Updater: Getting Device Versions. I've left it there for 10 mins now and it doesn't progress beyond that.

I also tried Z-Wave Repair and it gets stuck at "refreshing node states", and I tried to Reset Z-Wave Radio and it said " Failed to reset Z-Wave network”.

Factory reset the device and see if that works.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I've tried Factory Resets on both the Zooz devices, but there was no change.

It sounds like you may have a problem with the Z-Wave radio. Mind going to the following path:

yourHubIP*/hub/zwave/abortUpdateHubFirmware

*replace yourHubIP with actual IP address of your hub.

Then go to Setting and Shut Down. When the led on the hub turns red, unplug the hub from the wall outlet for a minute before plugging it back.

When the hub comes back online, wait 5 minutes, then try to include a device.

If this doesn't work, then please visit the following page to create a warranty case:

The fact that you powered off the hub and booted again, the radio reset failing, and the zwaveCrashed messages. Based on all the info it sounds like a hardware issue to me.

You may want to file for a warranty claim.

EDIT: Bobby beat me to it.

2 Likes

yourHubIP*/hub/zwave/abortUpdateHubFirmware

Thanks, unfortunately, this gives me an Error 404:

I'll try opening a Warranty request.

1 Like

That's ok, it executed what it needed to. Try power cycling and see if you can exclude/include a device.

That's ok, it executed what it needed to. Try power cycling and see if you can exclude/include a device.

Thanks, just ran through the steps for after visiting that URL, but unfortunately both Exclusion and Inclusion do the same thing as before.

Just closing this out - I received my warranty replacement hub and Z-Wave works perfectly now. Thanks, all!

4 Likes

Good to hear.... You may want to look at this link. It will help avoid some gotchas...

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.