New homekit integration info?

If you do family sharing it is synced between all the users. So when I re-arrange the home screen in the Home app it also updates it for my wife as well. I dont give the kids access, they would not use it anyway, they use voice commands for their rooms. If each users account on apple is separated, I do not think you can add the bridge to multiple "homes" at once, but you might be able to run multiple instances of the integration. Would be a hassle to maintain.

If you want to give someone lesser access I would just make a special Hubitat dashboard for them and give them the local LAN link for it, and make it an icon on the home screen of the device.

Yeah you're better off using Hubitat's dashboards for keeping separate for the kids.

1 Like

I haven't messed with it, since I live alone, but as of OS 16 HomePods can differentiate voices. Maybe you can lock voices out of some devices, not sure.

Thanks, guys.

They all already have actiontiles dashboards that I migrated from ST, so good there.

At least selecting available devices to homekit in HE will let me see if wife likes it while I learn more about what is possible on homekit side.

What about voice commands? Can I turn them off completely, or limit to a subset of what is available to homekit? (sorry - I realize these are increasingly apple and not HE questions...)

Not that I am aware of, once you share it to Homekit, Siri will be able to control it.

OK, coming down from the peak of the hype curve after reading this:

I'm not against adding new toys like a homepod mini or two, but hate that another piece of hardware needed for basic functionality of homekit to HE from outside of LAN, I was thinking HE was going to be a homekit hub device, not need one to duplicate functionality I already have...

All I'm seeing now is more restrictions and less functionality than I currently have, I'm happy for the new biz opportunities this brings to HE, and maybe this matures into something more useful to me, but I'm not as motivated to jump in to the beta as I was yesterday.

Apple requires a Homepod mini or Apple TV for remotely controlling Home devices. It uses a secure iCloud connection for this functionality, so not something that is possible without Apple hardware. With a Homebridge setup, I still need an Apple device to be the Home hub. The Homekit beta on Hubitat communicates with Apple Home directly without needing to have Homebridge setup on a rpi, pc, etc.

5 Likes

Well it is 100% local. That said it's no different than adding a Lutron bridge for Lutron stuff or a Hue bridge to maintain zigbee bulbs.

3 Likes

My understanding is that anything homekit certified is 100% local for communications between devices for both thread and wifi

1 Like

HomeKit protocol is all local. Apple TV or HomePod can serve as a proxy, relaying cloud calls from Home app to devices on the local network.

3 Likes

The op was bemoaning the need for an Apple Home hub to access devices remotely. Apple enables remote access through an encrypted connection via your iCloud account. If you turn off your iCloud account you will no longer have remote access, only local.

3 Likes

Oh I misunderstood!!! My bad. Yeah, it's really no different then the way Hubitat uses a cloud server... (reading comprehension low due to lack of caffeine)

2 Likes

Found this might be of interest. Refurbished Mini for $59.99.

Wondering if anyone has been able to add the HE hub to Apple Home via remote access. Iā€™m traveling for the Thanksgiving holiday and not patient enough to wait until Iā€™m back home late Sunday :wink:

Iā€™ve been using Apple home for a while, have a 2021 AppleTV 4k and a HomePod Mini and can acces that environment remotely. Iā€™m able to connect to the HE hub remotely and enable the new integration, but consistently get the messages below when adding the HE hub.

But the mini wont work with door locks?

Don't know about that, but I use a virtual switch to control my locks anyway. I assume that will work with the Apple stuff. Not sure as I haven't used homekit before.

1 Like

What HE platform are you on? I experienced that with .110 I think. Upgrading to the latest fixed it.

I.need other direction. There is a smart lock for homekit i posted about that fits inside the door that can be used for a double keyed deadbolt that
I want automated in hubitat.

https://www.amazon.com/Level-Lock-Bolt-Edition/dp/B086VQ37W4?maas

Also not sure this thing would work inside a metal door due to signal issues and expensive to find out it doesnt?

Your iPhone has to be on your home network to add devices to Apple Home. Thus, it cannot be done remotely.

1 Like

Same thing. Have homekit monitor a virtual switch and when detected change run the automation on homekit

1 Like