New homekit integration info?

Upgraded HE firmware, installed homekit, enabled a few devices, played around with home app, hated it, weighed potential benefits of siri/voice/apple automations, decided to uninstall everything within 30 min or so.

Apple's home app dashboard is really terrible compared to literally everything else I've looked at and used, including S-T's terrible offering. Love my iPhone, but not seeing anything in this ecosystem that's useful to me yet - siri voice control alone is not compelling to me.

Will keep watching, but for me right now, homekit just adds unnecessary complexity with little/no benefit.

I'm surprised, my wife finds it much easier to use, especially since iOS16.

Personally, I quite like it too.

3 Likes

Me too. Plenty of other iOS users seem to find it useful for manual control of devices and status monitoring. To each their own, I suppose.

6 Likes

Once I setup Homebridge a while back I abandoned the slow-to-load Hubitat dashboards for good. Nice thing about Homekit is it is built right into the OS so it loads up fast and is integrated with Siri.

3 Likes

Yes, to each his own. Just not for me.

Cannot come close to matching what I have on actiontiles with available options on home.

If I find a killer app that makes me want to integrate with apple, it won't be the dashboard.

1 Like

Actually, haven't really tried HE's dashboards. Played around a little, and seemed like a big learning curve to set up and limited benefit vs. actiontiles. Thanks for heads-up about slow loading.

Yes, I know local control a big deal for many of you. Just not enough options for customizing devices, especially since I have to create virtual switches for almost everything to use on apple.

Hubivue looks promising, but also not quite there yet for me:

What's missing or not quite there ???

1 Like

Hey @gslender. Meant to promote, not dis you.

I certainly would recommend hubivue over actiontiles for anyone that didn't come over from actiontiles on ST, and already have a lot set up. I think I could eventually duplicate everything I have and eventually do more. At least on free version, seems still limited ability to customize what is displayed in tiles (in apple home, zero ability to customize anything).

Actiontiles is ugly and limited, but enough ability to customize what is displayed in tiles including icons, titles, and data fields to meet my needs (as long as they don't pull the plug - may not be much longer as no active development anymore, which is why I would not recommend to new users, and looking for alternatives).

Hubivue is quite beautiful, and paid version seems to have more flexibility, but at least what I see so far is less ability to customize text and fields in tiles, and very limited library of stock icons for different tiles as how on/off appearance looks (zero for AAPL on al these scores). Seems like might be able to do whatever I want with appearance on paid version, but maybe still some limitations on display of fields, I see you making very rapid progress and you are very responsive to your users. I think it won't be long before I join them.

It’s definitely much much nicer than Actiontiles, just a shame it wasn’t around 2 years ago.

Agreed. Not even sure it's possible for an HE user to sign up on actiontiles unless they have an old ST hub, and certainly wouldn't recommend it as development seems to have completely stalled.

Free Beta on HE (after paid on ST) is the only reason I still use it, and helped me pull the plug on ST - made transition completely seamless for the fam after a week of lost hair for me.

Not sure that's entirely true, but it would depend on what specifically you are trying to achieve - have tried to make the paid version only for very specific users who need features that are advanced. In saying that, I'm open to a ActionTiles/SmartTools subscription transfer - where you get a discount reflective to the remaining time you have bought on a competitive product (ie if you have 6 months remaining, you'd get 50% off the price of a hubiVue Subscription).

Thoughts on that?

A little off topic here. I'll DM you with more detail if it's OK. I think you guys will get there, but more about functionality than price for me (as long as one time, not subscription).

As I recall I paid about $30 US one time for my actiontiles for 1 ST hub. HE functionality has been in an extended open beta free to existing ST users, with expectation there would be a charge eventually for the product, but I think development stalled and no product (nor charge) coming.

I don't think it's intentionally "blocked," per se. HomeKit, like most (all?) Apple devices, uses mDNS (Bonjour) to discover other devices on the LAN. mDNS does not work across subnets without some additional software.

The big thing would be using devices that can connect to HK but not HE directly.... Some people love the Apple dashboard. I don't really use dashes do it doesn't matter to me...

There are many alternate "Home" apps for iPhone to choose from. I prefer the built in app but I also have "Controller" because it has more features, like config backups, a way to store device codes, etc.

Here's a nice list of what "Home" related apps are available:

Any guidance on VLAN isolation and HomeKit? Am I better off putting my homePod (arriving today) on the same VLAN as HE, on the same VLAN as my user endpoints, on the same VLAN as my other IoT devices, or does it not care?

They need to be on the same subnet I believe

As @rlithgow1 indicated - this. Unless you can run an mDNS reflector such that multicast traffic on the HomePod VLAN is seen in the Hubitat VLAN.

3 Likes

I can enable mDNS on both subnets, but I'd rather not. I'll have to fiddle and see what works best, Thanks both for the advice.

@rlithgow1 @aaiyar Interesting experience. I put my HomePod on the same VLAN as HE and the integration worked fine but the HomePod got pissed that my HomePod and my iPhone were on different networks. So now I am running with my HomePod on my user VLAN along with my iPhone and with HE on a separate VLAN. Seems to work fine after some firewall rules to allow traffic, which kind of surprises me. A bummer that the HomePod really wants to be on the same VLAN as my iphone.