New Homebridge Plug-in via MakerAPI

Paid $115 for the whole shebang.

July 2020

3 Likes

Yeah $250 or more for a dedicated Homebridge device. I was going to pick up another pi4 and play with Home Assistant to see what I can use it for that Hubitat can't do, mostly integration. I could run Homebridge on my Nas but 'm not sure if that's the way to go. Will homebrdige run good on a pi 3? I have one laying around. Can I get away with installing HB on an sd card and just make a backup for when the sd goes poof or is the Synology a better option? Could use some advice guys.

Run it on your NAS, would be my advice. It's small, efficient and is layered upon NodeJS which runs on almost everything.

I have 3-5 different, independent NodeJS packages running on my Media Server (OSX) and I've never gotten a hint it was impacting it.

5 Likes

Sure. HomeBridge is not disk I/O intensive, and thus will not wear out an SD card quickly. Use a "High Endurance" microSD card, and chances are very good that you will be able to run a RPi on it for many years without issue.

I use Samsung microSD cards that many users recommend for DashCams, which are amongst the the most write intensive devices and are known to wear out cheap SD cards.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Endurance-microSDXC-Monitoring-MB-MJ64KA/dp/B0B1HZLJB1

2 Likes

I'm with @csteele on this... run it on your NAS if you can. Easier setup, better reliability etc etc.

2 Likes

Hi All - I have a Zigbee Yale Asure SL that connects to Homebridge via Maker API. I have just noticed that when Homebridge reboots, it sets the lock as "Unlocked", even tho its status says locked on Hubitat.

Has anyone seen this before and if so, any ideas on what to investigate?

Thanks,

Simon

I never really noticed this type of behavior. Do you reboot homebridge often? I never reboot unless there's an update that needs rebooting.

Ive only noticed as there was an update to a HB plugin that required restart, plus the other day we had a power cut that lasted longer than the UPS :slight_smile:

1 Like

An update on this - reported this issue on GitHub jvmahon/homebridge-hubitat and already fixed with 1.0.25. Top marks!

FYI - that is an entirely different Homebridge integration to the one in this thread, which was developed by @dan.t

And, FWIW, this integration doesn't have the lock status issue upon Homebridge restarting that you experienced.

2 Likes

Oh my bad sorry!!

Is anyone else experiencing their garage door showing opening and closing but never open/closed? In hubitat both the door and contact say open/closed.

I am seeing open/closed as appropriate.

Hubitat 2.3.4.119
Hubitat Maker API 1.1.3

Homebridge 1.5.1
Homebridge Hubitat Makerapi v0.4.15

Ah, I'm trying to do the same thing right now. A virtual switch doesn't show up as a security device in HomeKit so you lose significant functionality in HomeKit that way. And although I have HSM in HomeKit, I really prefer to see the state of the security system itself, in case there's some problem with the security system following the HSM mode.

Did you ever figure out a solution to this?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.