New Guy With A Basic Rule Question

To be honest I don't know if there is a difference. May be Philips can answer. Hue bulbs have a CT and a RGB mode, it just made sense to use CT to me.

Two rules or 1 rule? It depends on your preference. in this instance, the 1 rule is procedural in style. You can see the full story at once.

Event style is: Some event occurs then some action(s) occur. I admit that it gets difficult to see the full story when it is spread across 2 or more rules. I do find in long run that there are less strange bugs this way. It is more challenging to me to start thinking this way. It's something to do with all the free time I have at the moment. Not everybody's cup of tea.

When I use Set color temp with a brightness with Hue bulbs, I don't need the On action as well. I assume Set color is the same.

1 Like

I just tested it setting a color name, or CT and both ways work now without turning the bulbs on first.
Not sure why it wasn't working before.

The difference between the two is what will be displayed in HE after the order. If you order "daylight" as the color, this will result in your hue device displaying the color "Orange" in RGB mode. If you order the K level for daylight, it will display "Daylight" in CT mode. So, it only matters if you are what's displayed in Hubitat.

Also, it should be noted, that the drop-down of default colors is only a Rule Machine thing. Those drop-downs are not available everywhere . I would advise figuring out what you would want for CT and switching to using that in the future as it will be more accurate.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate the knowledge.

Did you turn them OFF again before you tested? We have issues with all our lamps over here and all zigbee 3.0 ones that don't change colour or temp unless they are already in the ON state.

1 Like

Yes, I did.

And did you change to a different colour/ value before you turned it OFF? So that when it gets turned on it has to CHANGE it's value?

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

@BorrisTheCat
I thought mine worked the way you were asking, they do not. They did yesterday in testing, but once the rule ran one of them did not change color to 5000 but the other two did. Now I am real confused. LOL

What you need to confirm is if they consistently work when they are OFF and sending the different Kelvin levels (better to use values not names. IE daylight is 6500, cool is about 4000 and 3000 and below is warm). Or if they only constantly work when they are ON 1st. The reason it sometimes works if your lamps are like mine is the speed of the message. If it gets it slower sometimes it catches it all sometimes it misses it.

2 Likes

I just added the turn on action in there to avoid worrying about it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why are you still turning the lights on and then setting the Color Temp and Level? You didn't mention that you have level or color prestaging turned on, so the two commands are not needed. It will just cause congestion and increase the possibility of messages being missed. I would try removing the "On" command.

1 Like

Because they don't work properly if I do not turn them on first. It is inconsistent and they will sometimes not change the color to what I want. If you read above that is explained. :slight_smile:

But you say that they don't turn on or set color correctly with the on command either. So, you can't say that the on command is helping.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Well it isn't sunset again yet, so I don't know for sure. But I can say that if I change it to a time and let that pass that turning them on first works consistently, and the other way doesn't.

And you don't have color or level prestaging turned on for these? Do you groups use zigbee group messaging? Have you tried with the individual lights in the rule?

1 Like

I don't understand what you are talking about, but from a brief Google search, Hue lights don't do prestaging?

Okay, prestaging is an option within Hubitat.

So, are your Hue Lights connected directly to Hubitat or through your Hue bridge? Also, you never answered my question about whether you have Zigbee group messaging on.

1 Like

My bulbs are connected to a Hue bridge and then I have the Hue app installed in Hubitat.
I don't know what zigbee group messaging is?

Where do I find the color and level prestaging switches?