New GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Smart Switch?

Just ran across these. Look like some new GE Z-Wave switches were released.

The one thing I really like about them is the reduction in the size. Even though I've found some tricks to fit things into the little boxes when replacing switches I still hate having to fight to get everything back in. The auto line/load detection is cool (not a big deal) and it looks like they still require a companion switch in a 3-way setup which kinda sucks.

Any thoughts about the GE brand switches?

https://byjasco.com/products/ge-enbrighten-z-wave-plus-smart-switch-quickfit-and-simplewire

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Enbrighten-SimpleWire-SmartThings-46201/dp/B07RRBT6W5/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=GE+46201&qid=1560345363&s=gateway&sr=8-1

1 Like

The smaller box is definitely nice. The other changes don't matter much to me. Not $5/switch worth at least. I'm hoping this will get the previous versions on sale.

I really wish the manufactures focused on reducing the size more. I had to swap out 5 switches yesterday and luckily it was a newer house with deeper boxes. My house was a pain in the ass with little to no space in the boxes, I had to get creative.

I visited with Jasco at a recent trade show. They are working on releasing a lot of new controls, in z-wave plus with S2 and Zigbee. They said they had been waiting for Zigbee 3.0 to get finalized to start producing products. I saw scene controllers, switches, motion sensors and all kinds of things in their booth that they said were coming for both protocols.

2 Likes

I just got in one of the new Enbrighten dimmers in, and should publish a new driver for it (and the switch) soon when I get time to clean it up.

Couple of interesting notes versus previous gen GE dimmer -

1. Can't reverse the paddle direction any more
  2. Supports double tap in hardware
  3. Supports triple tap in hardware
  • But only via central scene notifications, so not as fast as single/double tap and can only be done from the physical paddle. You can't trigger triple tap digitally from the HE side, you can only receive notification that it happened in HE. So not sure how useful that actually is.
  1. Supports defining turn-on brightness level via zwave parameter
  2. Supports min/max brightness (min brightness could be useful for LEDs that don't turn on below X voltage).
1 Like

What kind of scene controllers? Is there any info/pics out there?

They haven't released any info yet, I wish that I had snapped some pics. I will call the contact I have there and bug them a little.

1 Like

I was checking out the newest version of the dimmer switch on Amazon:

Many of the reviews for specifically Style: Dimmer (NEW Model) said that it's not compatible with LED bulbs. It's reported that they flash/strobe and don't have a good range of dimming. Has anyone experienced this, or can refute this claim?

I only have one of the Enbrighten dimmers, but it is on 3 LEDs and it dims/works fine. No strobing on those LEDs.

I haven't specifically compared the dimmer range with anything else. But it didn't stand out to me as being vastly different. Of course all of my other dimmers are jasco/GE, too.

Thanks Jason! Just so I'm clear, it's the 46203 dimmer that you have? I saw on your driver post that there's some confusion on Amazon's listings. Just want to make sure I'm not mistaken.

I don't remember the model #. If it is one of the new shallower models, it should work. If it doesn't just change the driver back, and hit configure after saving.

I hope other manufacturers are working on smaller versions too. Like others, I have had real challenges getting Z-Wave switches into my boxes.

The new inovelli are shallower as well.

Anyone getting a ringing noise coming from these new GE switches?

Yes. I can hear it on both the dimmers and switches. Unfortunately, it doesn't make any difference as to the type or size of load either.

Any way to address this? It almost makes them unusable for bedrooms.

Not that I'm aware of. I only have them in my bathrooms so it's not that big of a deal. I don't think I could handle them in the bedroom!

Not that I've ever noticed, no.

Not from mine.

I have about 27 of these switches installed and none of them exhibit strange behavior.

Out of curiosity, was the neutral wire installed?

I noticed the GE Enbrighten listing state โ€œno neutral wire requiredโ€.

Mine all have the neutral wire because I upgraded from the previous version of GE switch where a neutral was required and so when I installed the new switches I used the neutral wire again.