New favorite USB plug for wall outlet

I needed a low-profile USB plug for an application w/a wall outlet in my house. I needed something slim and that would keep the cables near the wall. I and found this on Amazon & it arrived today and seems even smaller and unobtrusive than it looks in the pics. Really like it.

The maker has several other similar models that support both USB-A and USB-C plugs, higher wattage, etc.

USB-A
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JLXTQ1U?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

USB-A & C
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JBZKVNX?ref=emc_s_m_5_i_n&th=1

10 Likes

Very slick.

Good find!

S

1 Like

Wow. This is rare. Very seldom do I see linked products here that I can find on Amazon.ca as well.

1 Like

It's probably because I'm so fond of Canadians that they felt like they should do it. :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah these are pretty slick, I got some end tables with outlets on the back, that have USB ports well. Got some wireless charge pads that light up to put on top of the tables, only to find out they need 2a and the USB ports are 1A. So I got a similar one of these slim chargers to plug into the outlet on the table that we would never use anyway, so the table could still go flush to the wall.

BTW if you have guests over a lot, drop some charging pads on your end tables, I love it.

2 Likes

The form factor looks terrific. I'm looking for something like this to power both a USB leak sensor and USB humidity sensor in my crawl space.

The concern is these are characterized as chargers. My understanding is that chargers don't deliver constant power the way a device such as a "USB Plug" delivers power, and that with a charger the problem is that Z-wave or Zigbee devices can fall off the network. Is that accurate?
The challenge is that almost everything online is characterized as a charger, so not sure if they deliver constant power as needed, and not sure how to determine before purchasing if the device is the correct type. Anyone with one of these know how and care to check it?

I am fairly certain that any USB-A style wall wart is required to supply a steady 5v up the amperage it is rated for. The Device load will determine how much amps is pulled. Phones and other devices with batteries cut themselves off once the battery is charged.

For USB-C is where it gets tricky, because a true PD (Power delivery) port requires that the device negotiates for power requirements.

Then you have other things like laptop chargers and etc... that is something that Zooz specifically warns NOT to use with the ZEN16/17. Probably because they may not conform to the standards of the typical USB-A power blocks.

Long story short, the only thing you have to worry about is USB-C PD chargers, USB-A should be fine.

3 Likes

I've ordered these Tuya usb adaptors, which I now realise were not the same as what is being discussed here (thanks @velvetfoot ). Will take a few weeks to arrive apparently. Will report back.

I don't think this what they're talking about.

I believe I have one, although not hooked up at the moment.
Maybe just a tad hard to pair, as I recall, ...but I did it, so.... There's a thread.
I might re-implement since I don't have the spare C7 acting as the C8 power cycler, but I don't go anywhere, lol.

Although, I do wish there was a zigbee or z-wave plug like the one you linked to, instead of just wifi.

1 Like

Ah, yes, sorry, got confused with another post be @danabw elsewhere. I've edited my earlier post.

Slightly more on-topic, though not as slim as @danabw 's.... I've got a few of these, powering my HE's, rpi's and other stuff at my desk

https://www.amazon.com.au/Anker-6-Port-Charger-Powerport-iPhone/dp/B00P933OJC/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=2TLHBG7ACH8L9&keywords=anker+60w+6+port&qid=1706709504&sprefix=anker+60w+6+port%2Caps%2C254&sr=8-3

I really have no clue about this. The below is from the Zooz site regarding an adapter that looks similar to the one linked above, which I found when I was trying to figure out why the h--- my ZSE11 was not working... Would love to know a way to figure out if a device is an impulse power supply/charger or an adapter.

https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/1427-zse11-q-sensor-faqs/

The adapter plug looks like my phone charger cube, could I use that instead?

• NO. Your charger cube is an impulse power supply, while the adapter linked above is an external battery, which supplies constant, steady power.
  • The difference between chargers and adapters is impulse power supplies require a load to activate, so a particular amount of charge on the other side. Laptops, tablets, and phones have powerful batteries that will start drawing a certain amount of power which activates the power supply. If a given device doesn't draw enough power, the power supply / charger will not activate.

I am trying something with one of these as a mount for a tablet. Still working on hiding the charging cable.

1 Like

Trying to search for "impulse" phone charger in various ways is not getting me any results.

I just pulled out a Wyze power supply (for a camera), an old iPad charger, and some random Chinese USB-A block I have. Tested all 3 with a multimeter. All 3 give the exact same steady 5v readings.

So did you determine the ZSE11 works on some other supply but not a phone charger? Plug it into a USB port on a computer, surely those should not be "chargers". I had a ZSE11 go totally dead on me also, Zooz replaced it.

Also found this online: Why do all USB-C or USB-A always show 5V on a multimeter? - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange
Also basically saying that USB-A will always put out 5v.

I call shenanigans

Also noticed this:
Removed

1 Like

Clever... :slight_smile:

What am I missing? 500mA is the AC (100-240v) input. The 1A 5V output has nothing to do with the 500mA input current.

I agree with you on the shenanigans, but I'm not sure what the snip is telling us.

1 Like

Nothing, I'm an idiot apparently. For some reason I thought that was the output rating.

2 Likes