New Device Category - Television

Would it be possible to create a new category for televisions? I added my TCL TV and exported it to Alexa app so that I can turn it on/off. However, since there is not Television category, it is treated like a typical switch. If we had the ability to either categorize the device as TV, or in the Alexa app, to define Switches to export as Televisions, then in Alexa we could simply say to turn off the TV, and it will find the device of type TV on the current echo device, and turn on/off that device, w/o having to explicitly identify the device by exact name. Much like we can do with 'Alex turn on (off) the lights" and alexa turns on (off) all the lights associated to that device. By exporting them as Televisions, we would also see the TV icon next to them, instead of a light bulb/switch.

1 Like

As a work around..
I have created a 'group' in the alexa app and named it TV
Then added the switch to this group
I can just say 'Alexa turn on/off the TV'
Works for me!

Andy

2 Likes

I have a bunch of work-arounds, The problem is, none of them allow this when you have four TVs. You cannot create two devices or two groups with the same name. And even if you could, device names take precedence over context awareness -- so from the office, if I ask exa to turn off the TV, it may try turning off the wrong TV. The proper way (and only way I have been able to make this work) is to assign televisions the TV type. And making sure no device nor scene is called TV. Then you can say to turn off the TV, and it will turn off all the TVs associated with that echo product.

Maybe I am a bit unique, but I have an echo device in every room, and associate only the devices for that room to the room’s echo, so I can control devices by type, not just name.

Thats the proper way...
By the way Same applies to Google assistant

1 Like

Thats the proper way...

Agreed.

Anyone from HE development seeing this? I have improved my DTH considerably, and I really could use native Television support in the Alexa App for my HE controlled TVs.

Because they are lights in Alexa, I cannot just ask to turn on/off the TV in my room, since I have multiple TVs. But if capability "TV" where supported in the Alexa interface app, then Alexa would know it is a TV, and I could control it as such, plus being able refer to it in the room by device type "tv" instead of device name "master bedroom tv", or "living room tv", etc...

@bravenel ? maybe ?

1 Like

I totally agree with previous request. It is what I am looking for also for a long time.
A virtual device type TV would do that could be recognized as TV in Google home.
Thumps up from me!

I ended up using the Roku skill to control my Arab from Alexa, and it works better now. It is a a good solution for me, but not all TVs have an Alexa skill.