New dashboard/control app

@banta
How about some ability for the app to connect to multiple hubs, without having to create separate accounts for each hub

2 Likes

So a couple have mentioned multi hubs. Are these hubs both local? I’m assuming they don’t communicate? I’m sorry I’m not familiar with this situation but if it just requires multi connections it’s doable but something I need to implement quickly to achieve. I will give it some thought.

I agree with others @toggledbits has been very helpful and great. The community as a whole seems that way. I have not done an open contribution to anything since the days of SageTV (did a lot of work over there) due to time. It’s nice to see an active community and more importantly have some time to do this. I’ve had this hub for several years (a version 1 and now 2) and have always loved it.

1 Like

Yes, both local on the LAN. The hubs can connect to each other using TCP, that's called "Hub Mesh"

1 Like

Google calendar integration similar to Dakboard would be awesome.

1 Like

Drag and Drop

Expand/Resize Tiles by clicking and dragging corners like every other OS in the world

Long Press to enter tile options

Easy Camera Feeds (maybe some magic on the backend, I dont know if this is possible, Im dumb)

BILLIONS of Icons

Widgets (Andriod style Spotify. Play,Pause, Back, Skip)

Voice Announcement/Sound Option - "Garage Door Opening" -"Ding"

Im sure I could think of a hundred more. Just copy native Android and skin it for a dashboard app. Sounds easy peasy.

2 Likes

Expand/Resize Tiles by clicking and dragging corners like every other OS in the world

Yup something like this is on the list. Clicking holding/moving around etc (doable not sure yet not to UI portion)

Long Press to enter tile options

Not sure on this my initial thought is not a bad idea, but my initial plan was all editing and such would be done in a wizard like setup, so think on this one, I will (in my yoda voice)

Easy Camera Feeds (maybe some magic on the backend, I dont know if this is possible, Im dumb)

Camers via certain types is upmost important to me and a tricky one but I just started work on that backend (Reactnative is limited especially on the IOS side)

Those the ideas I didn't disagree with much thanks!

1 Like

Yes, both local on the LAN. The hubs can connect to each other using TCP, that's called "Hub Mesh"

So they connect but they don't share devices correct? Like you would need to query multiple devices. I am just trying to grasp how this works since I don't have multiple.

1 Like

Using HubMesh you can share devices between hubs.

1 Like

Correct, devices are only shared, when marked as such on the device page(hub mesh option activated) -and- on the secondary hub, that shared device is , I'll say, imported.

Edit- On the hub where the device is shared to, a type of virtual device(Hub mesh device) is created to mirror the actual device. The virtual device will then see all the events from the actual device, and the virtual device can control the physical device

1 Like

So my guess is you guys are wanting a use case where devices are not imported so you can import from both hubs. I am sure there are reasons for having to hubs in a single location...Its easy enough to add support to query more than one so I did.

2 Likes

Once a new (hub-based) Dashboard App arrives on the scene and gains traction in the community, who decides whether it gets included in the Built-In Apps section? Currently, I see entries like SharpTools, ActionTiles, and even Smartly listed in "Built In Apps" and wonder how such distinctions got made. Some of these are commercial products, obviously.

A few minor players (Virtual Keypad, Switch Dashboard, etc.), all community apps, appear in HPM. While some (commercial) heavy hitters like Hubivue, Home Remote and HousePanel, since they interact with the hub via Maker API and thus lack an on-hub component, are only mentioned/listed in the Forum.

Putting it another way, how does an app developer apply for inclusion ... is there a formal process, or were certain early adopters grandfathered in somehow?

If you're working on a new control app, then please try to fix the ONE thing that the stock app sucks at: presence by geofence.

1 Like

None of that really applies to an app like this as it won’t need an add on install on the hub (unless I hit some wall with function I don’t see hitting)

1 Like

Can you explain what is wrong with it? I don’t use it but could be possible to implement geofencing from the phone (but honesty doesn’t their app support that?)

It's just absolutely unreliable. The functionality exists in the stock app, but it almost never works properly. Seems to be a significant problem especially on iphones.

As a former driver for Apple's "location mapping" contractor, I can attest to any GPS-only app being inherently less reliable than custom-tailored solutions like Life360 which take into account secondary beacons such as WiFi and cell tower information.

It's not that any one signal or signal type is "better", as each also has its weaknesses (GPS indoors, for instance, or during heavy rainstorms). But the success of geolocation will always be greatly enhanced by processing multiple signals and cross-checking the results.

This is why I often recommend mobile users tinker with apps like Tasker that can see/read/memorize/react to placemarkers like cellular tower connections, nearby WiFi, vehicle BlueTooth, etc. instead of hoping and praying that a basic dashboard app will "activate even with the phone asleep".

Just stuff to ponder.

3 Likes

The device itself, whether it be an Android phone or an Apple phone, already can make use of GPS, cell location, wifi, even bluetooth, to know it's own location. These phones already have a mechanism for keeping it's location awareness up to date using all of the above sensors. I know Google has APIs for apps that allow them to be aware of the phone's location via those APIs. So the app should not have to implement it's own location tracking method on Android, it just needs to ask the system where it is and be given permission by the user to have access to that information. That being said, I am not sure how Apple stuff works, but I would imagine they have something similar available.

1 Like

From all I've read on the subject, the problems start when a mobile device goes to sleep, rendering some or all of its Location data unavailable to apps that want to consume it. No simple answers as to why so many "Geofencing" applications fail to satisfy consumers, so kudos to developers for trying.

I'll never forget owning one of the earliest Galaxy (Samsung smartphone models) handsets with GPS, which relied on a truly flimsy internal antenna for grabbing satellite signal(s). One's location wound up being literally "all over the map" and it skewed with how tightly one held the phone during signal lock, lol.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.