New construction, wired devices?

Hello Hubitat Peps.

We starting a new home build. Three floors, with dedicated "network closet".

I'd like to hardwire all, or most, of my motions and door contacts. Maybe other items that I have not considered. Any suggesting on what hardware to look at? Perhaps a way to get powered temp sensors?

I'm looking for quality gear it it helps.
I do plan to run cat6 to every door/ window and place that I want a motion.
Also I plan to use a combo of Caseta and Inovelli for Sw/Dimmers.

Take a look at Konnected.

2 Likes

If you find any good powered contact sensors let us know. I've looked into various things even smart door hinges etc but did not find anything exciting. You probably could hardwire some existing sensors if you were so inclined - need a low voltage run to each area like the door frame and a transformer in the basement/NOC area.

My current battery powered favorite is the "XFinity" MCTs... have been using them on my basement windows.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=XHS2-UE&_sacat=0

Exactly that I'm looking for. I plan to run cat6 to every door/ window and place that I want a motion. Just not sure what the "good" options are for the contacts and motions.

You plan sounds awesome btw. I think you might end up rolling your own which is not as bad as you might think depending upon your skill.

I did this with some Iris V2 sensors (no longer available) and a buck converter in the battery compartment.

6e4b979ee7dc194f4ce43e823086e64d0d4a138d_2_374x500

2 Likes

I'd suggest you wire everything in an alarm style configuration. There are lots of wired options for windows and doors. Then use something like Konnected or Envisalink to get the status to Hubitat.

Many examples here:
https://www.alarmgrid.com/browse/door-and-window-sensors

Another thing to consider pre-wiring for are window shades. But make sure to read some manufacturer specs on wiring count, gauge, and distances. Requirements vary.

2 Likes

I had a fully wired DSC system including doors, motion, windows and a few other things (low voltage). I converted that to Konnected, which was very easy, and have been very happy with that. All of that easily integrated into SmartThings and now Hubitat.

1 Like

Since this will be a new construction and you are starting from scratch, I would start looking a mmWave presence sensors instead of PIR motion sensors. They are hardwired and usually ceiling mounted, they are a bit expensive but are leaps ahead of anything on the market for detecting presence (not movement). So when you are sitting there watching TV, working on the computer, showering or even just sleeping it will know if someone is present or not in the room. Reason it's ceiling mounted is that these detectors can detect presence through walls, so adjusting the depth of detection is important and easier when pointing down towards the floor.

This is what I plan on using in my new construction, I got fed up with trying to detect with up to 4 PIR sensors in a single room to detect if someone is actually there, I will not start adding pressure pads everywhere like in chairs, beds etc. Considering all that, the mmWave sensor is very cheap compared to 4 PIR sensors +++ other sensors :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I take it the ones that say they are 2.4Ghz are ZIGBEE? And they work with Hubitat? The description on one I looked at says it is Wifi in one place and Zigbee in another. Really good price for a lot of 10 and looks like there is no shortage of them!

Yes they are Zigbee. I have only had them in place since July but so far so good. Very slim design which is nice and you can have some separation between magnet and sensor and it will still work.

_PXL_20220628_120423011adj

edit: Some have complained about battery life lasting less than a year, others have reported longer. Of course it depends on a variety of factors. Mine are still okay after a few months but it's still early.

Having purchased a number of those to date (for applications other than windows/doors some being hacks Need Freezer sensor - #29 by PunchCardPgmr) I can say that their "designs are good" being Visonic(Tyco) technology. Visonic spent a lot of effort perfecting highly reliable wireless devices that sip power long before making them "in Zigbee". That said, all this stuff is contract manufactured now and I've found multiple versions of the series. Sage was one, and another manufacturer that slips my mind.

Battery life has been good
(but I DO see a difference between frequently active devices vs not)
range from magnet to sensor is good,
temperature reporting has been good.

Now, all that said...I am flippin fed up of the full concert of devices deployed that are dependent on batteries and I'm resisting the idea of putting battery contact sensors on every window & door.

Given the audacious have-no-fear approaches to breaking & entering these days ...I, rightly or wrongly, figure motions in key internal locations are good enough.....AND THEN spending the money to sense & video intrusion to the property BEFORE the buildings are threatened by any "nare-do-well-ers. The latter might well necessitate some cable runs, posts, poles, and no-see-um positioning of equipment.

1 Like

Can you recommend any particular ones?

Sorry, can't recommend any for now because I bought a few but did not recieve them all and don't have much time right now to test them out. Look in te following thread for more info and test results from other members... some of the info in there is also for some Tuya regular PIR sensors.

Cant recommend Lutron enough for your switches.

Konnected, all the way.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.